+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mullberry hatch

Thanks!!!!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Thanks for the post. Last summer I discovered 3 mulberry trees on the lake I live on and the carp were feeding. I tied on a purple popper (the closest fly I had in my fly box) and I hooked into a 20lb. I never landed the beast. I tied some mulberry imitations but by the time I had a chance to get out on the lake the mulberry hatch was over. This year I will be ready with my 8wt and an arsenal of mulberry flies. The carp on my lake are smart and wary, especially when the bow hunters arrive. I have only hooked 6 carp on my lake (I only sight fish) in the last 10 years and have yet to land one. THIS IS THE YEAR!!!!!
    caribe

If this opens a can of worms so be it, I have caught a few grass carp but never a “common” carp in my life. But, a guy on another forum said he is catching grass carp by pouring tomato juice on his Chernobyl Ant fly. It is necessary to do so or change flies after catching one because they release a flight scent that repeals future fish from that fly for a time. I know I have some V8 type juice in the frig but it already has been doctored with Tabasco and Worchestershire Sauce.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Tabasco sauce is used for Cajun Carp...

Ed

The can of worms is a good idea...carp love them

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post

If this opens a can of worms so be it, I have caught a few grass carp but never a “common” carp in my life. But, a guy on another forum said he is catching grass carp by pouring tomato juice on his Chernobyl Ant fly. It is necessary to do so or change flies after catching one because they release a flight scent that repeals future fish from that fly for a time. I know I have some V8 type juice in the frig but it already has been doctored with Tabasco and Worchestershire Sauce.
    Were did you find that info on flight scent I caught over 15 grass carp on one fly one after an other and most of the takes were slow and deliberate giving the fish ample time to smell the scent and choose not to take( I had very few refusals that day). I am not saying what you said is wrong I just would like to read up more on it.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Were did you find that info on flight scent I caught over 15 grass carp on one fly one after an other and most of the takes were slow and deliberate giving the fish ample time to smell the scent and choose not to take( I had very few refusals that day). I am not saying what you said is wrong I just would like to read up more on it.
    At this moment I am not sure where I saw that. Every grass carp I have ever caught was a pure coincidence just happen when I was bream fishing. My former fishing buddy did catch one on his extend -o-pole once when we were drowning cricket on a colder windy day.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread