+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squrriel Tails

Default Squrriel Tails

Hello all,
    Does anyone know if squrriel tail is hollow? If so I'm thinkin that it may make a very nice humpy???
    Thnaks- David

Not that I am aware of, unless there is a new breed .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Sorry, after reading it, I think i didn't ask my question the way I wanted to, what I meantto ask is, is squrriel tail hair hollow?
    Sorry for the misunderstanding- David

I believe your question was correctly answered. However, that does not mean that a 'humpy' cannot be tyed with squirrel tail hair. If you apply floatant it should work.

Allan

Squirrel tail hairs are solid, not hollow. They won't help your humpy float, but they will make it look different. JC, Maybe that's what he's going for?

David,

I'm with JC on this one.

Squirrel tail hair is pretty dense stuff. Even with floatant, I don't think it would float. Might, but I'd guess that the weight of the hair would sink the fly.

I love it for streamers, though. Great stuff, and I like that it comes 'pre stacked' on that neat little material holder....

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:c65eb]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:c65eb]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Use your squirrel tails to tie some really nice Hairwing streamers as Buddy said.
    What I have found over the years, I see something I like, in materials and then find the the flies most suitable. Unfortunately the qualities in squirrel hair that are best make them excellent for wet flies.
    With one tail you can tie an awful lot of flies, so they are a real bargain, makes them very popular here for salmon and sea-trout flies.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Hi Flytyer317,

Why not make the wings out of squirrel tail and the hump out of poly yarn or foam strips. Just an idea if you want squirrel as part of your humpy. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:c6e7e]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:c6e7e]

Squirrrel is a very attractive material but is very dense and slick...hard to tie in so it will stay put. However, if you wish to use it in a Humpy, I think I would go ahead and do the body with deer, then the wing with squirrel.....keep in mind, however, that the wing will have to be slightly less dense than normal or it may pull the fly over and sink it.

JC wrote:

Kewl, a sinking humpy... who knows?

Hey JC,
    Ya just never know. One of the first Black Hills trout I ever took was on a waterlogged Al's Foam Hopper. It was two feet underwater when a nice brown came up from the bottom and nabbed it. I watched the whole thing and almost needed some Depends. I'd try a sinking Humpy....if only for the fun of it.
    Tie one up, Flytyer317. I'll be your crash test dummy.

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

+ Reply to Thread