+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Soft Hackle

Default Help with Soft Hackle

I have been trying to tie the red *** or a le bug as featured on the orvis web site. I have problems getting the hackle to the right length. Can someone give me some pointers.

Thanks
    Steve

Try tying the hackle in by the tip.
    Strip the barbs offf the side that will be on the hook. Tie in a little way down fromt he tip and cut the excess off.

Hope this help.

Rick

I prefer to start at the stem and strip all but about 3/8" of barbules off of the stem. I then tie it in facing toward the hook eye, wrap it towards the back and tie it off there. I then move the thread to the hook eye and make enough thread wraps to get the strands to the angle i want.

Sounds weird, but I've found it to be both quicker and easier than a more typical method.

Hi Steve,

You mention soft hackle in relation to length. I often use a split-thread dubbing loop to make oversized soft hackle any length I want/need. Here's how it works:

1. Strip the fibers from an over-sized feather and set them aside for a moment. Soft hackle fibers usually tend to stick together.
    2. Use a bodkin to split the tying thread about an inch from the hook, slip a finger in between forming a dubbing loop.
    3. Slip the stripped fibers between the split thread pushing the tips through as far as you want their length. Remove your finger closing the dubbing loop and trim off the butt ends.
    4. Wrap the hackle making sure the fibers sweep back. Whip-finish and go fishing!

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:6e9b2]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:6e9b2]

Al,

That is a sweet trick. ... Thanx.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

AlanB Guest

Hi Steve I did this series of photos for another board but they might help you. The fly here is the Yellow Partridge but you can apply the technique to any soft hackle.

The best way I have found to do this is to grip the tip of the feather in a small pair of hackle pliers and pull all the loose fibres back. Then tie in.
    To double the hackle takes quite a deft touch. Wet your finger and thumb and rub together untill they feel sticky then very gently fold the fibres back as in the second photo. Hold in that position as you wind. The result is photo 3. The couple of turns to form the head neatens the whole thing up.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Al, most excellent tip, should work with any size of feather....wish I'd had it years ago.

+ Reply to Thread