+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Renew "Fly Fisherman" magazine??

Blog Entries

I used to love to get my new issues of "Fly Fisherman" and "Fly Tier", but haven't renewed either subscription in years.
    I think they have tried to broaden their subscription base by becoming all things to all people and have lost their way in the process.
    Of course, this is happening to all print media. They are trying to survive in the era of YouTube, digital magazines (often free) as well as a plethora of ebooks (cheap, or even free).

If your interest is stream fishing for trout, you can find lots of material on that subject without leafing through pond fishing, lake fishing, or saltwater fishing.

I let all my subscriptions stop some time ago. I got tired of reading about all the best places in the world to fly fish ... Places I will never see. I will peruse a magazine at the store and buy it if there is an article that interests me.

steve

Ed has the right answer to part of the problem. You can't print what you don't get. I have edited several publications over the years, including FAOL, and it is always a struggle to get material. I am so appreciative of the writers that have contributed material over the years and they, not me, have made FAOL worth reading. Unfortunately we no longer receive many articles and so we have to rely on just a few faithful individuals to give us content. We don't pay for content since the original idea of FAOL was anglers sharing with other anglers. I'm certain that if Deanna would have had to pay for material FAOL would never have been published and it has provided a forum for writers that might never have gotten published elsewhere. All print media, whether hard copy or Internet, is having trouble getting material because it's all "out there" already. As Byron stated, if you want to know about it you can find it, for free, on the Internet.

I like Eastern Flyfishing magazine and Fly Rod & Reel. I still get Flyfisherman but I don't find the articles that interesting. I occasionally buy the British Fly fishing and Flytying magazine because I like the different patterns and styles of flies and their take on salmon, coarse fish, grayling, etc., but it isi kind of expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by philip43 View Post
    I received my 2nd notice about my subscription to Fly Fisherman magazine. My son told me that he let his subscription expire earlier this year! Lots of ads, but the stories aren't interesting. Any suggestions or tell me what magazines you all find worth the time and money. I live in the Albany area of NY. Thanks, Philip
    I fully concur and am seriously considering not renewing my subscription after just receiving a 2nd notice about expiring subscription

I gave up my subscriptions as well except for this one. Which is free by the way. Good articles plus embedded videos.

http://www.thenewflyfisherezine.com

The Drake is a good alternative. But, I admit, I grew bored with that after a couple years, as well.

"Fly Fishing and Fly Tying" have kept my interest, I suppose it's the combination of the two subjects that keep my interest.
    One time I heard of a guy who was an article writer of sorts who submitted his stuff to magazines like Field and Stream and such, but who never fished or hunted himself - he simply researched whatever the subject was to be and then let his vivid imagination go to work. Little wonder many of us develop an underlying cynicism! (LOL)

They are all better than the 5:00 news. I keep most of mine, but out of loyalty more than anticipation of the next issue.

Gave up all my magazine subscriptions. Very little coverage of warm water fly fishing.
    Have found that Ralph, Scott and you-tube give me a lot of new ideas of what to do.
    Also being in swaps helps to see new materials.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread