+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ott-Lite vs. DayLight?

Default Ott-Lite vs. DayLight?

I am looking for a new fly tying light/lamp. For years I've used a 100-watt drafting style lamp that worked well enough. However, it generated lots of heat and was too glaring for long sessions at the vise.

I see both DayLight and Ott-Lite products used by many tiers. I am interested in the larger table lamp for my fly tying desk at home and the smaller "task" lamp that can be folded-up and taken on trips. While I'm always looking to save money, I am more interested in what's best for my eyes.

I did a search on this site and most of the comments/reviews are close to a year old. Wondering if anyone has changed their opinions lately? What's your experience with either of these two products? They look nearly identical to me. Is the Ott-Lite worth the extra buck$, or does the DayLight provide the same function at a better price? How about the quality of construction/assembly? Thanks.

I have used the Ott-Lite for a couple of years now and would not tye without it now. I have the 18 Watt light and it is great. I do not know about the other lites like it. I do believe you only get what you pay for.

I like a lotta light.
    my fly tying den is lit up like a nuclear reactor w/ overhead halogen/ceiling fan lamp, formerly a halogen drafting lamp w/ a fold open ott ight (13w) directly above the lamp. the halogen drafting lamp burnt out the swith and I switched to the daylight table lamp (18w) and it is very nice.

I did manage to get buy tying w/ just the fold open and overhead lighting, but as I said earlier I like it lit up. the ott is nice to have as a travel lamp for your portable tying kit as hotel rooms/cabins/campsites are generally very poorly lit.

I got the ott at costco a while back. it was very reasonably priced, I wish I had bought two as I haven't seen them there since. the daylight lamp is available for a reasonable price from sportsman's warehouse, where it's priced considerably less than it is in flytying catalogs.

joann's carries them both w/ an internet discount (I think) and also frequently runs 50% off coupons in the sunday paper.

either one of the lamps are very worthwhile additions to your bench. I think proper illumination is frequently overlooked by flytiers.

hope all this blather is helpful.

mgj

mikeytwoshoes - Just checked the Joanne's website. They have a 40% internet coupon and I discovered that the local Joanne's store is having a 50% off sale this coming weekend (President's Day). Thanks much for the suggestion on Joanne's.

I was very interested in this and started a couple of threads in the last couple of months and made a decision...right or wrong ... we'll get to that in awhile after I find the links to the lamps..

What I haven't seen is a scientific comparison between the Daylight lamps and the Ott lamps to justify JC's assumption that the Ott is better.

Nor have I seen anything but personal preference to help decide which is better 13-18-27 watts.

more to follow...

Here's a link re: the clip on light but this co. offers others so check out the other models .

I got the scrapebook model for certain reasons ....it is 18 watts ....I'm very happy with this light ....I've seen this brand begin to appear in fly fishing shops for much more money...

Until someone can show me a valid study to show that the Ott is significantly better...the physics of it etc.... I don't think it's extra cost is justified...
    [url=http://www.save-on-crafts.com/day18watfloo.html:5fb6a]http://www.save-on-crafts.com/day18watfloo.html[/url:5fb6a]

IMHO

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 14 February 2005).]

I just recieved two Ott-Lites. The 13 watt craft lamp and the 18 watt floor lamp. I ordered them through the net at ottlite-tv.com with spare bulbs for each lamp the price was about 120 bucks including shipping.
    they took about two weeks to get here. They are great

Hey Folks,

Mikee, did I understand in your post
    that you have a ceiling fan over your tying
    bench? What a novel idea!*G*

On the lamps, I purchased an 18 watt
    clamp on with magnifier as a result of a
    similar thread here on FAOL. The lamp is
    far superior to any lighting I had
    previously experienced on my bench. Of
    particular note to me is the way the light
    floods my fly and even shadows from my
    chubby fingers and hands is greatly reduced.
    Also, a long tying session under this
    lighting does not produce the headache I
    sometimes got using incadescent lighting.
    I'm sold on the style of lamps.

As to brands of lights, I was able to
    compare similar lamps from both Ott and
    Daylight, side by side, and I was of the
    opinion that the Ott light was of better
    construction and in all probablility a more
    durable product. After reading both
    websites online, it sounds as if Ott came up
    with the technology and has stayed on top of
    it. I do not recall seeing on the Ott lamps
    where they were manufactured nor did I pick
    it up on thier website. The Daylight lamps
    had stickers saying made in China. I was
    not able to discern a difference between the
    lights as to how the light was concentrated
    and I found similar models of both brands to
    be more than adequate in the 18 watt versions. Keep in mind that I know nothing
    about lighting and these are just my
    personal opinions after comparing both side
    by side. I obviously have no affiliation
    with either. I would make the comparison
    of the lights like that of a Cabelas
    Stowaway flyrod and a Loomis of the same
    weight and similar action. They will both
    do the job but everyone will have thier own
    preference as to which is right for them.
    I personally went with the Daylight brand
    lamp. It should be noted however, that most of my rods are in the $100 price
    range.*G* The Daylight product was easier
    on my budget. It works well for me. If
    price had not been a factor, I would probably have gone with the Ott, but I am
    far from dissappointed. There you have
    a completely unbiased opinion from a person
    totally uneducated in the physics of lighting.*G* It should be noted however,
    that the prices of both brands of lighting
    can vary considerably from one store to the
    next and that some offer specials and some
    do not. It is possible to make a substantial savings on either with a bit of
    comparison shopping on line. Warm regards,
    Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 15 February 2005).]

As an architect I have lots of drafting lamps available. I like the kind that have both a circular florescent ring and a 100 watt incandescant.

The Ott lights and similar brands just don't have enough output for my taste. The output of a florescent is roughly 3X that of a incandecent of the same wattage, for example an 18 watt Ott lamp has about the same overall lumens of a 54 watt incandecant bulb.

You can purchase compact florescent bulbs that will fit into a standard screw bulb fixture. Look for 'daylight' or 'natural' type bulbs to get a good color balance.

yeah jim, there's a ceiling fan above my bench. I can get away with it spinning at the low speed, but if I turn it up, I'm in the midst of a ****storm. usually I don't bother running it.

+ Reply to Thread