+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: head cement applicator?

Default head cement applicator?

I've come into a stash of head cement, and have a theory that the popularity of Sally Hansen's is directly attributable to the ease of applying it, then twisting the cap to keep it fresh. But the head cement applicators that I have used don't have that ease of use - do you have any favorites?

I just use a dubbing needle. I don't care for brushes, the needle lets me put the cement where and how much I want.

I'm that way also. I have a film can crammed with copper wool and a hole in the top. I cleanse the needle by sticking it in the can.
    Mike

A bodkin and SHHAN. Never saw a reason to change. Simple, cheap and it works.

Large hat pin.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I've come into a stash of head cement, and have a theory that the popularity of Sally Hansen's is directly attributable to the ease of applying it, then twisting the cap to keep it fresh. But the head cement applicators that I have used don't have that ease of use - do you have any favorites?
    I use Sally Hansen. I replaced the brush bristles in the applicator with a pin.

If you like the Sally bottle/applicator, why don't you clean one out and fill it with your head cement?

After I opened one of the bottles, I found they had all dried up, so guess it's Sally for me. Like the needle idea. Also, am fond of brushing the thread before I whip it.

Hi,
    I also use shhan with my bodkin as an applicator since I began tying many years ago. I noticed that Renzetti offers 2 types of clear refillable jars with either a bodkin or brush affixed in the jar lid. It seems that it would be as convenient to use as the bottles of shhan. I know AK Best advocated for purchases of quart sized containers of shellac or some other thing he used for head cement. I personally prefer to just buy a small fresh jar of shhan when I need it. Besides, I think he ties more flies than I do.

Blog Entries

I think sally hansons is popular beceause its inexpensive. I cut the brush in half in length and width. for a bodkin i use a 2 or 3 inch thin sewing needle, cleaned off in a film container full of 4/0 steel wool.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    After I opened one of the bottles, I found they had all dried up, so guess it's Sally for me. Like the needle idea. Also, am fond of brushing the thread before I whip it.
    Nothing a little lacquer thinner won't fix. And I , likewise, trust in the old bodkin.

+ Reply to Thread