+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Click 'N Pawl Reel Battenkill III, Opinions Please

Hybrid View

Default Orvis Click 'N Pawl Reel Battenkill III, Opinions Please

Aside from the fact that a trout reel is just a line holder, I'm looking for persons who have had experience with the Battenkill III, the 5-7 wt. reel. How is the drag? Will is slow down a 20" trout in moving water? Do they sell extra spools for it?
    Thanks

http://www.orvis.com/p/battenkill-reel/7h9p

I don't have experience with the new Battenkill III, but I recently bought a new Battenkill V, the biggest one they make now. I bought it to use as a 7 wt spey reel. It is very well made, with close tolerances. It has a good strong clicker that is internally adjustable. If the III model is made as well as the V, I think it should be fine as a trout reel. You will probably have to palm it to slow down a 20" trout in moving water, but it has a good palming rim.

Regards,
    Ted

Very odd. You are not concerned about the drag and yet you are concerned about the drag? Which one is it? Personally, I would opt for the Orvis Access midarbor instead, because I'd rather have drag that I rarely use than one that is not there at all, but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Very odd. You are not concerned about the drag and yet you are concerned about the drag? Which one is it? Personally, I would opt for the Orvis Access midarbor instead, because I'd rather have drag that I rarely use than one that is not there at all, but YMMV.
    I didn't say I wasn't concerned about the drag. I have a Mid-arbor. I'm looking for a classic style click and pawl drag. Most of the fish I will land will be between 7 to 15 inches and the reel will handle it I'm sure. I just wondered if I happen to catch a larger fish would it suffice.

P.S. What does YMMV mean? I'm not up on all of that stuff.

last chance,
    Just picked up the new Battenkill 11 and was fortunate enough to land a hefty 18" rainbow without any worries. the reel worked fine. I'm about to splurge on a new CFO that is made by Abel. That should complete my reel purchases for awhile. I have a few Battenkill's and CFO's, both disc and click and pawl and love them all. never had a problem with them and they have been fished hard.
    Have fun with your reel.
    by the way, i think the YMMV means 'your mileage may vary"

Steve
    it's all good drifts

Quote Originally Posted by sgallas2 View Post
    last chance,
    Just picked up the new Battenkill 11 and was fortunate enough to land a hefty 18" rainbow without any worries. the reel worked fine. I'm about to splurge on a new CFO that is made by Abel. That should complete my reel purchases for awhile. I have a few Battenkill's and CFO's, both disc and click and pawl and love them all. never had a problem with them and they have been fished hard.
    Have fun with your reel.
    by the way, i think the YMMV means 'your mileage may vary"

Steve
    Thanks, Steve. I guess I just showed my age, not that it matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I didn't say I wasn't concerned about the drag. I have a Mid-arbor. I'm looking for a classic style click and pawl drag. Most of the fish I will land will be between 7 to 15 inches and the reel will handle it I'm sure. I just wondered if I happen to catch a larger fish would it suffice.

P.S. What does YMMV mean? I'm not up on all of that stuff.
    Your opening sentence implied you did not think the drag was unimportant (i.e. "reel is just a line holder"), and then your following asked about the drag, hence the question. And the question still stands, which is more important? Seems like it is pointless to worry about if all you want to stick with the antiquated technology for aesthetic reasons.

YMMV=your mileage may vary
    Last edited by whatfly; 05-06-2015 at 06:34 PM.

I don't know if I would call it antiquated technology. In a trout reel, for many, a click pawl is the correct technology for the application. The reel holds the line. The drag does nothing more than prevent over-run if a person never puts a fish on the reel. I know personally, I can't remember that last time I put a fish on the reel.

Your opening sentence implied you did not think the drag was unimportant (i.e. "reel is just a line holder"), and then your following asked about the drag, hence the question. And the question still stands, which is more important? Seems like it is pointless to worry about if all you want to stick with the antiquated technology for aesthetic reasons.

YMMV=your mileage may vary
    Hi
    I said that about the reel being a line holder because that's the first thing I would have been reading in reply. I just wanted to nip that talk before it got started. Many people feel that way, and I guess in a way, they can be right.
    Thanks

...if all you want to stick with the antiquated technology...
    Seems to me that would describe quite a bit of fly fishing !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread