+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vincent Marinaro

Default Vincent Marinaro

JC, I read your "Flies Only" Report and was amazed at the results. It is a definate must read for all. It has opened up a new look at dry tying. The length of the split tails and the way it was balanced,The angles.

Your research, had to be a labor of love, and with Mr. Vincent Marinaro as a mentor !!

What can one say, except you where blessed.

Very impressive, and concise.

Thank you for that article

Just a Rookie

Philip

------------------
    I look into... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly: water temperature, what stage of development the bugs are in, what the fish are eating right now. Then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long.' - Allison Moir.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I read Vince Marinaro's "Modern Dry Fly Code" for the first time this year, and then read it three more times. I think it's the best book ever written about the kind of spring creek fishing I do. His observations about terrestrials and minutiae are dead on. In my own case, I had figured out the terrestrial part. But once I started seriously fishing the small stuff, my success rate with tough, big fish went through the roof.
    Eric

Eric, I plan on purchasing the book. I have two small creeks with small brookies close by.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Now find Ring of the Rise by Vince.
    He felt he didn't get the job done with the first book, so he wrote the "Ring"...more to ponder. JC and I edited the Montana and Michigan parts for him before it went to the publisher. It was a wonderful experience.
    We had lived in Michigan of course, and were living in Montana at the time. We 'corresponded' by tape recordings, which we still have. They should go to a museum.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Vince many years ago in the twilight of his life and getting him to inscribe my copies of both "Ring of the Rise" and "Modern Dry Fly Code". He was a fascinating man, especially to an awestruck kid.

When I made my first trip to the Letort many years prior to that meeting, I was in awe after reading those two books. Some of Vince's and Charlie Fox's "screens" were still standing along the banks in Fox's Meadow. These screens were what they hid behind to observe the trout and take some of the photos that adorn the pages of both books.

In those days names like Marinaro, Fox, Harvey, Schweibert and the rest were our fishing heroes, bigger than life, bigger than Hollywood stars; the stuff dreams were made of. Sadly today, many younger fly fishers never heard of some of these pioneers of the sport or worse yet, don't care. It's like idolizing Barry Bonds without knowing who Babe Ruth was. You just don't know what you're missing!

LadyFisher:

I am sure the Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Museum would be interested in copies of those tapes. Through the generosity of the Marinaro family they have most of Vince's personal fishing belongings. Those tapes would be a wonderful addition.
    [url=http://www.paflyfishing.org/contact_us.htm:25e02]http://www.paflyfishing.org/contact_us.htm[/url:25e02]

If the link doesn't work the PFFMA phone number is: 717-541-0622.

I've tried to find the referenced article by "JC" and can't. I've looked throught "James Castwell" (I'm hopeing that is "JC") and with no "search" device on the site am at a loss to locate said article. Anyone help?

------------------
    In life, as in fly fishing, don't get in over your waders.

Sorry! It's even to my left at the top to the topic list!

------------------
    In life, as in fly fishing, don't get in over your waders.

Im having a hard time finding the artical
    also. I never knew Vince but I have heard
    alot of great stories about him and Charlie
    from Ed Shenk.What I would give to been able
    to have known and fished with these great
    heroes of that time. Hey Bamboozle how ya
    been.Is the Springs fishing well? LDV

Ladyfisher;

Those tapes would be extremely interesting turned into MP3s and set free upon the fishing world. (Pretty simple with some software I recently found.) I suppose a fishing museum would also be nice.

I have good intentions of reading more of Vince's stuff, but I gotta finish my Master's first.

Don
    Don Rolfson

LDV:

Now which "Springs" would you be talking about:

Big Springs
    Green Springs
    Falling Springs
    Letort "Spring" Run
    or the Breeches in Boiling Springs?

+ Reply to Thread