+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hackle Question

Default Hackle Question

I am not sure if this has been asked before, but I can?t seem to find any info on it. I am looking to define the hackle feathers on the bird. What is a cape and what is a saddle? What type of hackle do you use for wets and what type for dry?s? Every time I ask someone I get a different answer and I am still left in the dark. It might be interesting if someone could put on a class or an article here on FAOL as to how to choose tying material i.e. what is used for what and how to choose the best quality. Being fairly new to tying, I am overwhelmed by all of the differences. Thanks for any help!
    Eric.

Eric... The cape is taken from the neck area. Saddle hackle is taken from the rump area. A good cape should let you tie a larger variety of sizes. You should be able to get from size 8 or 10 all the way to sizes 22 or 24...in some capes. As a reminder, the bigger the number, the smaller the feather. Saddle hackles normally have a smaller variety of sizes. They will probably run sizes 12-16. On a good saddle hackle, you should be able to get more than one fly from it. I hope this helps.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

[This message has been edited by maddog48 (edited 14 February 2005).]

Eric,
    I invite you to read the article "Hackle 101" written by my Daughter/Pardner, Liz. It will give you an easy to understanding of flytying hackle, both wet & dry.
    Jut punch in hackle 101 in the search feature here on FAOL.
    Denny

------------------
    Denny
    Denny@conranch.com
    Co-Owner Conranch Hackles
    Denny

I recently brought a full rooster skin to a fly tying class to answer that question. It really helps to see it all together. Both the neck and the saddle are used for dry fly hackle. The cape is from the neck down to the top of the back. You'll find very small feathers from the neck area for tiny dry flies, The saddle is from farther down the back and it has longer feathers. In between the cape and saddle is some wider spade hackle. Try looking at the pictures on Denny's site. His capes and saddles have some extra feathers still attached that are softer and can be used for other than dry flies. Hopefully Denny will chime in, he's the expert on this sort of stuff. Here's the link:
    [url=http://www.conranch.com:33ce5]http://www.conranch.com[/url:33ce5]

------------------
    Joe

A wet fly hackle will be softer and have some webbing to it. Hold a feather up the the light and you will notice a V shape within the lower part of the feather. That's the web. It will absorb more water than a dry fly hackle, which is stiff with a minimal amount of web.
    Wet hackle is usually shorter and rounder.
    Dry hackle being longer and probably won't have round tips.
    Hope that is some help.
    Bob Scheidt

Thanks to everyone! Very good info. It looks like Denny will be hearing from me. Now I need to go look at the small supply I currently have and see if I can put this info to use. Thanks again, as always FAOL is the best source.
    Eric.

Eric... I'm not wanting to start a debate here because I know everyone has their own choices of suppliers. I am not associated with Denny and Conranch Hackles in any way other than being a very happy and extremely pleased owner of at least a dozen of Denny's product. Go back to his website and get his phone number and talk to him directly. Let him know what you are looking for and I can almost guarantee, he'll find it for you. He's been in business a long time because he carries a quality product backed by super customer service.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Thanx Bob. If someone would have told me that a long time ago, it would have saved me a lot of money and grief. Alas, it was one of those things that I learned on my own. I love the fact that everyone is so helpful on this site! Keep it up everyone.

I would echo Maddog's sentiments. I have some of Conranch's product as well as others, but could never in a million years learn more about the hackle industry than I learned hanging out on a cabin deck in Arkansas last March having a beer and listening to Denny with a bunch of guides. You gotta love passion in a person for their craft.

+ Reply to Thread