+ Reply to Thread

Thread: who still has an opening day

Hybrid View

Default who still has an opening day

Just got back from the annual pilgrimage to my trout camp on the AuSable. We talked a little about how the opener is not as big a deal since we have some waterline year round. Believe opening weekend is still a big deal in Pennsylvania and california still but where else is the tradition alive of the opener?

Still have opening days in IL, March/April and October, but it's put and take here and only closed for a few weeks. Still crowded in the spring though. IDNR has really mixed things up by having a fly fishing only catch & release opener a few weeks earlier at a few locations. I'd be up for extending it to a few months instead of weeks, especially in the fall/winter. Might bring more bait slingers over to the dark side. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

We have opening day here in CT
    The anticipation of the "holiday" increases licence sales which benefits the state fisheries program.
    A great number of these licence holders only trout fish on opening day so their contributions to the fisheries budget is greatly appreciated.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Yes and no. I'm often asked by people, who don't fish much, "When does trout season open?" The answer is, it depends. The regulations are complicated. Most lakes and some streams are open year round. If I'm willing to drive a couple hours, I can fish for trout anytime of the year. Locally, some streams opened last weekend, others not until the last weekend of May.

General opening for trout in the Fremont forest was Apr 25 which I passed because of the weather. Went for trout on the 26th of April. Caught about 25 brookies. Not much size but all were released. Fly was a Rio Grande King. Was a nice day to start out.I wish all of you a great year.

Tim

We have two opening days in PA. There's one in the East and another in the West a little later.

+ Reply to Thread