+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Does It All Mean?

Hybrid View

Default What Does It All Mean?

OK, I bought a Tenkara rod, and I think I got lucky in selection, because it works like a charm for nymph/streamer/dry fishing. But what do the numbers mean? Can somebody tell me how it stacks up in the Tenkara community, action and application wise?

Tenkara4 (1).jpg

The 12' 360cm indicates the length of the rod (approximately). The 7:3 is a rough notation for the rod's action. It means 70% of the rod is relatively stiff and 30% relatively soft (basically, it is between a mid action and a tip action rod). Unfortunately, the 7:3 notation is not standardized across manufacturers, though, so a different company's 7:3 could be much, much different than that one. I am not familiar with that rod so I cannot say how it stacks up. If you want to continue fishing the cut down fly line, the 7:3 action is probably the right one - but by know you already know it works. The rod might not work as well with a much lighter line (which would be easier to keep off the water's surface to minimize drag). That is something you would have to experiment with on your own.
    Tenkara Bum

Thanks much. Was Having trouble making sense of the action, since most folks would use other rods as references and I had no experiences with any other Tenkara rods. I am pleased that I obviously got lucky on the choice. Blind luck. But the rig fishes quite well for how we would like to use it. The 7:3 flips that line very accurately.

+ Reply to Thread