+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stonefly Nymphs

Default Stonefly Nymphs

I tied a Stonefly Nymph last night and during the process, realized that I have no idea how large (or small) these creatures are.

I tied mine on a #6 TMC 200R. The fly is what I would consider huge - probably 1-1/4" overall not counting the split tail and antennae.

Is this too big?

Thanks in advance.

- Gary

------------------

"Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

Not a chance...I tie them up to a #4 and I was asked by someone to tie them some of my stones is a #2! These bugs are giant! Also don't be afraid to load on the lead...these should be fised hard on the bottom. Also it does not hurt to flatten them out slightly.

[This message has been edited by Stonefly Nymph (edited 14 February 2005).]

It depends on which species you are imitating. Saying "stonefly nymph" is like saying "mayfly nymph," Horse," "car," or "food." It's a broad term that covers many possibilities.

So, no, it's not too big unless you are imitating one that never gets that big.

Actually, I tied the fly in Al Campbell's Advanced Tutorial using the Granny Weave. He didn't indicate a size, so I used a #6 TMC 200R. Seemed to work out considering the size of the micro chenille.

- Gary

------------------

"Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

I tie them from size #2's down to size #10's They all work at times. The larger ones seem to work the best just before and during the main hatch of them. I still like the Old Tried and true Brooks stone nymph. I believe I have caught more fish on that pattern than on anyother. Ron

I live in northwestern Ontario and im a huge steelheader, I load up on stones from sz.2 to sz.14. I only use sz.14 in low water conditions.

+ Reply to Thread