+ Reply to Thread

Thread: L.L. Bean 2015 Rapid River Vest Pack Review?

Default L.L. Bean 2015 Rapid River Vest Pack Review?

Has anyone had any experience with this vest/pack and care to share their opinions.?
    Thanks

I bet they at least sold one.

It looks like there are three reviews on LL Bean's site regarding it and two are positive, one is slightly negative. It looks to be a knock-off of the Fishpond Wastach Tech Pack with a few differences to get around copyright/patent rules (addition of a waist belt, removal of some pockets, etc. As a huge Fishpond fan I hate to see their designs being duplicated in this way though I can't say LL Bean is the only company doing it. That being said if you are kitchen sink kind of person this is the pack for you.
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Thanks.
    I read those reviews. In my opinion Fishpond charges way too much for its products. Even if it's a knockoff it's half of the price of a Fishpond and I can afford to buy it.

There's your answer then. Put your money down and take your chances. Personally, I would pay the difference for a known proven product (Fishpond) than an unproven imitation, even though I generally like LL Bean stuff. Fifty buck is not a big issue for something I'm likely to use frequently. YMMV.

My biggest beef of course with both packs is they are so "busy" looking. Not sure why modern aesthetics seem to require bright colors and fancy patterns on outdoor gear...
    Last edited by whatfly; 04-23-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    There's your answer then. Put your money down and take your chances. Personally, I would pay the difference for a known proven product (Fishpond) than an unproven imitation, even though I generally like LL Bean stuff. Fifty buck is not a big issue for something I'm likely to use frequently. YMMV.

My biggest beef of course with both packs is they are so "busy" looking. Not sure why modern aesthetics seem to require bright colors and fancy patterns on outdoor gear...
    Actually, this Rapid River Vest Pack is a new version of their popular old pack.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post

I also looked at the Fishpond Wasatch Tech Pack. You may be right.

I like the idea behind the independent belt suspension. Sore shoulders are a big problem after a long day with a full vest. Medium and large packs use waist belts to move load from shoulders to hips. If it works, the Rapid River may help a lot. I'd have to try one on though. I have a short pack with a "waist belt" that rides way too high (stomach, not waist) to be used.

Does the Fishpond Wasatch have an independent belt closure? In the Fishpond photos, it's zipped tightly in front and do not show another clip for the waist belt. I never close my vest in front, and definitely would not want it closed tightly.

Bruce,

To the best of my knowledge the waist belt on the LL Bean pack is unique to that pack/vest combo (Fishpond doesn't have it). As to the tight closure, though it isn't shown the Fishpond vest has a secondary closure on the inside of the zipper which can be used in place of zipping it. I do not own the Wasatch pack, but have a similar vest (identical to the Wasatch w/out the pack portion on back) which has this closure system and I've looked at the Wasatch in the past and seen it there as well.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Thanks everyone. I guess it's a toss up between the L.L. Bean, and yes, the Fishpond.

+ Reply to Thread