+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Slip Loop Knots

Default Non-Slip Loop Knots

Everything you read in books or see on videos describing how to tie a non-slip loop knot tells how to close the knot down before you tighten it so it will be a small loop. Does it really matter? I know it would not make sense to have a loop a foot long for a size 18 fly, but does it matter if the loop is 1/4" or 1/2" or 1" or 2"? There will still be two sections of tippet coming from the hook eye versus just one plus the knot on a non-loop knot, such as a clinch knot, and any size would still let the fly have movement.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Billingsley; 04-19-2015 at 04:18 AM.

I doubt it. But the smaller loop may reduce hinging?

Other than it uses more tippet material with a longer loop, it probably doesn't make too much difference. That being said, I use a non-slip loop knot for 95% of my fly fishing and I always try to keep the loop about 3/8 inch long or less.

Jim Smith

I think with a fly like a clouser a small loop is better. The eyes sometimes catch in a large loop.

I try and keep mine small, with a larger loop I have had a fly hang up in the loop.

You tie the loop small to keep the fly from fouling.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Smaller is definitely better to keep the fly, or portions of it from fouling. With practice, it becomes easier to achieve a small loop with very little wasted tippet. I start the over-hand knot, then slide it down over my pinkie tip, then push the tag through the eye of the fly. Next I slide the loop right down until it touches the hook eye before making the overhand wraps and returning to the loop. I use 4 wraps only with Flourocarbon tippet and it has been strong enough for my fishing. slide the knot down close to the eye, then lubricate the knot well before cinching down. You should be able to manipulate the loop to as big as you need before final cinch down of tag.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I have for years used the Uni-Knot for almost everything. I tie it, slide it down to where I want my loop and lock it in. I have caught some very large fish with this loop and the loop did not slide down to the eye. Even if it did it's not a big problem. When I don't want a loop I just push the knot tight to the eye and lock it in.

dudley, what are you fishing with? Looks like a cigarette butt fly with a long black trailer of nymph back.

Quote Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
    dudley, what are you fishing with? Looks like a cigarette butt fly with a long black trailer of nymph back.
    That's a popper, similar to this one, made from lobster buoy foam
    The black is eel grass. A sea weed

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread