Thread: suggested material sub?

Threaded View

Default suggested material sub?

Hey Guys,

hey everyone, sorry i haven't been on in next to an eternity.. family heath issues and such...

i haven't had the time to break out the fly rod yet this year, so i have been doing a lot of spin fishing. That being said, ive been using my french spinners i dressed up awhile ago, and let me tell you, they are killers in the river and small streams!

OK, down to business... i dress the heck out of them.... crystal flash, mallard flank and dry fly hackle on the treble, (the dry fly hackle takes the focus off the thread wraps and helps hide the barbs of the treble.) then, marabou and crystal flash pressed around a ball to hide the joint and blend the transition, and finally some more dry fly hackle pressed between a ball and the barrel to finish, it helps act as a buffer for the spinner blade... the last bit of hackle (the blade buffer) is getting destroyed after about 2-3 hours of heavy use.. I'm assuming its due to the spinner blade and rocks, since I've been fishing very shallow water...

any suggestions on a material that would withstand more abuse then dry fly hackle? and (hopefully) respond close to the same in the water?

any input is good input,

the spooften

oh yeah, here is a picture... the silver blades are getting a lot more response so far...

the spinner.jpg

tight lines everyone!
    Last edited by spoof85; 04-16-2015 at 04:38 AM.
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"