+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flies for Crappies

Hybrid View

Question Flies for Crappies

Well I am getting closed to my trip to the Lake of the Ozarks. They tell that end of April is good for crappies on the nest, but crappies like minnows.

So the question is, what fly would you recommend for this novice to use for crappies?

Some good suggestions from this thread

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...-Crappie-Flies

Also, Don Bastian's Red Squirrel Silver Picket Pin is supposed to be a good one; haven't used it yet but it was a fun fly to tie

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...Picket-Pin-SBS

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Mini Slumpbusters, Black Nosed Dace, Mickey Finn and Golden Retrievers tied in the standard and white version. All in sizes #12-10.

Probably depends on water clarity...Ozarks tends to be fairly clear, at least in the lower 2/3 of the lake. Crappies will nest deeper in clear water than in murky water.

Crappies love a slowly-moved fly that is above them.

I've been using 1/80th oz microjigs under an indicator year-round (except for icefishing, of course) for crappies in my area. Adjust the distance between the microjig and the indicator to suit the depth you need. If the fish are in water greater than 5' or so, you may choose to use a heavier microjig under a larger indicator, so that it sinks to depth quickly.

Another technique that works well at times is swimming Crappie Candy flies or beadhead Woolly Buggers through spawning areas. Chartreuse is often the best color, but occasionally something else works better.

Good luck and post pictures of your trip for us!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

If you're not a tru purist about it and want to find some of the biggest crappies in the school, use a beadhead or clouser weighted for depth you're looking in. Use yellow or chartreuse and white marabou lightly tied on a long shank 6 or 8 light wire hook. On the hook hang an Uncle Josh spin strip about 1" to 1"1/4 long. Forget the bobber and just crawl this in with the handroll technique and watch your line tip where it enters water. Like I said...if you're not a purist...and I'm not, tho I personally haven't used this in a few years I know it can find the bigger fish in the school.

I've always had luck with a white body and tail bugger with hen grizzly palmer and collar. Size around 8-12 sometimes with a silver bead head.
    Good luck

+ Reply to Thread