+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crowdfunding for fly fishing content creators?

Hybrid View

Default Crowdfunding for fly fishing content creators?

Some of the podcasts I listen to (non fly-fishing) utilize crowdfunding to pay the bills, and I'm fascinated by this as a way of supporting fly fishing businesses, in particular for monetizing "free" content like Youtube videos. I haven't produced a Youtube vid in quite a while, and to be honest the biggest reason is that I was getting very little in return. I have sold maybe 100 books from my Youtube vids in two years and booked one guide trip since 2009, plus some book sales through the shop which in all honesty are barely worth it (I make next to nothing selling the books wholesale to the shop). It was either spend two hours putting out a video I effectively made nothing on or spend the same amount of time tying 2dz flies or writing, which have produced a better rate of return.

This brings me to crowdfunding. Most of you have probably heard of Kickstarter, and while the idea of running a Kickstarter for capital investments is sort of interesting, I doubt it would work. There's another crowdfunding platform called Patreon which is REALLY interesting. Basically, people pledge a small amount for each "unit" of content produced. So let's say a video from my or Davie McPhail is worth $0.50 to you. You can make that pledge, then whoever you pledge to gets that amount every time they produce a video (or other creative work. An issue of FAOL could easily apply, if the site owners wanted to take that route).

Long story short: for those of you familiar with my videos, or Davie's, or any other creative labor pertaining to fly fishing, how seriously would you consider signing up for something like this? I currently have about 900 Youtube subscribers. If 1/10 was willing to throw down $0.50 on a video, that would all of a sudden make producing them a lot more worth it from a financial perspective.

Here's Patreon's intro vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-IDF809fQ.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

Blog Entries

Very interesting Walter.
    Some folks make the videos in order to "make a name for themselves" in a GOOD sense. If they become popular, they can often get bookings at fly fishing clubs and their conventions. Not a lot of money, but a bit like musicians holding concerts. That is done primarily to push sales of their records.
    If the tier gets a big enough reputation through such appearances, YouTube videos, etc., then they might get a lucrative book opportunity.
    Guys like Mike Lawson and Rene Harropp make good money from their books because: 1. They're good and have lots of info to share; and 2. They have become well known. Lawson from his shop and his appearances across the country at fly fishing shows. Harrop from his famed flies and other products as well as his great art.

Even Hans Weilenmann has published a book with another tier. Such books, if purchased, are usually purchased because the potential buyer has heard of, or seen, some of their work and thinks it has value. This would be accomplished by appearances, YouTube type videos, articles published in tying/fishing books. If Hans had not developed a name for himself through his web site, photography, and tying videos, I doubt he would have had a book published.

I recently suggested a business model for a forum like FAOL, given presumed declining advertising revenue when data storage costs are rising might be to have a nominal fee for membership. The idea was not well received here.

But, speaking for myself, if one way of accessing good tying videos was to pay a very nominal fee, I would sure consider it. I own quite a few tying videos by folks like Harrop, bob Jacklin, Gary Borger, etc. I had to pay for them and they weren't particularly cheap, either.

I think a good business model might be to sell uploadable tying videos through a video source similar to Amazon's Kindle except the media would be on video v. Book form. Then, the purchaser would own his copy and could store it on his device or the cloud.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-06-2015 at 07:32 AM.

This may be a duplicate post due to IPAD (or user) malfunction

I would certainly be interested ,especially after receiving all the wonderful information from "Yellowstone Country".
    count me in.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

I reckon it all depends on your goals. I don't own a fly shop, or work in the industry, so my situation is a little different. Not that that's a bad thing....if I could make a fly shop work around here, I'd be all over it.

My books began out of a love for writing and my fishing journal. They were initially put in book form with "Tomorrows Fish" through Amazon as a way to have them in physical form for my kids. Maybe someday a great grandson/daughter would pick it up and learn a little bit about their grandpop. They are all self-published and sell modestly steady and I get good reviews. But if I were to be picked up by an agent things would add a twist to that. Although that's a slim reality since unless you're already a name they won't bother with you. You get used to, "Loved your essays, but Essay Books don't sell"...."Read your book and loved it, but unfortunately it doesn't fit what we are looking for." Basically saying "Who are you?" As it is, I'm not quitting my day job any time soon. My biggest payment quite honestly, are the "Thank you's and Enjoyed it's" I get when a particular essay strikes a chord, and I've received some very nice emails from folks who really related to one or all of the books. That's priceless. But...it's not my livelihood. If it were my thoughts would be different. Maybe some day I'll make enough to buy a nice Bamboo rod. If I quit dumping all the proceeds back into Tying materials. LOL!

I started my blog as a way of building a database for my patterns, and began getting requests for video examples. Would it be nice to make some revenue off of the YouTube link? Sure. The thoughts intriguing.

Personally I think crowdsourcing is for suckers and considering how much free content is out there, your videos would have to be truly exceptional (i.e. better than McPhail or Wise) before I would consider micropaying for them...and then there is the whole have to trust another dodgy internet start up with financial information problem too. Having read two of your books, I'm not quite sure you are going to be able to distinguish yourself enough from a very crowded field.

I think you underestimate visibility you have gained from your videos, however. I bought the books because of the videos, and I put the shop on the map as a stop as well. Are the "Weekly Fly" guys making any money? There's an example of an operation that has been around for a while, but really does not generate that much buzz, but perhaps they are secretly raking it in? Take it for what it is worth...

I make no videos. I write no books. I freeload on all the freebie sites I can. I do this because they're available and do not ask for anything...HOWEVER...I contribute to every site that asks for donations. I click on every site I use regularly that has a "Contribution" button. I would contribute to all the great tiers and sites if there was a way to do it and beyond that I wish all the guys who do great videos of tying would have a way to buy flies direct from them. Hans is just one of my favorites and he also comes on a website I'm active in (speaking of bamboo) and shows us his great work and links to videos.

I do not know much about any of these various sites to help fund things but I have contributed a few times on sites for helping with medical costs, particularly with children. What is irritating is getting on an email list for doing this with more requests. So anyway, tho I don't spend much time on this site I would happily contribute to keeping it alive. For me, I live on Soc Sec and pensions solely but have everything paid for so live comfortably. This allows me to make contributions of $10-15 when I have a site or link to do so and would do that here if requested.

vicrider,
    On the Home page in the left column you will see a link to "Friends of FAOL".

+ Reply to Thread