+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Boylermakers"

Default "Boylermakers"

Thought I'd post a couple images of a baitfish fly that I have been tying a bunch of the past few trips to the bench.

[url=http://www.flymaker.com/bbGallery/Boylermaker-Brown.jpg:b4199] Brown Boylermaker Image Link[/url:b4199]

It is a pattern by Captain Jaime Boyle and I think it is a good one. With the correct materials on-hand, these are a fast tie. They are durable too. I used Varivas 990S Size 6 hooks, EZ-Body tubing-size small natural pearl with lateral line, Polar Fibre wing and belly hair. Assorted flash fibers were used inside the tube for the tail and internal underbody. Lastly, UV Knot Sense was used to make the heads, along with a little holoflake glitter.

These type of baitfish flies can be scaled up, or down, as the EZ-Body tubing comes in a variety of sizes. There ya go!

Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 13 February 2005).]

Thanks JC. Easy to add the red throat. I'll try a couple that way .

Rich

Flymaker2 thank you for posting the Boylermaker ,what a great pattern.I have now tyed it useing E-Z Body,Flexicord, And Re-Flash tubing and I am realy pleased how they have turned out.So far I have liked the way Poly Bear has worked for the winging materal. I plan on fishing them this season for salmon on the ocean and I know the bass are in big trouble this spring . Thanks again

Very nice Rich!! Would be great in fresh or salt I bet. -Yaf
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

fishingseaducer-

Glad you found the post helpful. It is a pretty neat little fly pattern.

Yaffle-Thanks.

JC-Here is another one (above image)-this time tied with Bright Orange SLF added to each side for the flared gill effect per your prescription Look OK?

FYI-A dental floss threader makes the perfect tool for pulling the Mylar flash strands into the EZ-Body Tubing!

Thanks,
    Rich

JC-I like your "Castwell's Marblehead"
    too! Especially the use of PB!

I actually tried a little white PB (I just happen to have gotten a bit of it ) for the belly of the last Boylermaker pictured. It just didn't work well for the shape. The upward natural curvature of the EZ-Body tubing is a feature on this fly & the Polar Fibre nicely follows that curve in the body.

I think if I were starving and needed a fish to eat that I would cast yours first because of the translucence of the natural PB fibers. More than a few of the gurus I know use PB on all of there go to flies....

Rich

How about one more Boylermaker:

This one is also on a Size 6 Varivas 990S and this time using the Long Shank version of that hook.

Also, added were the orange throat and bigger eyes as Castwell likes them on his streamers... Got to admit that it looks even better to me JC.

Thanks for the tips!
    Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 13 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread