+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of fly fishing

Hybrid View

1. Default

Don't have to get the newest, neatest, cutest to impress folks you don't even know. My spousal unit says I'm cheap. I prefer the word frugal.

If you choose the printed version, you can shell out $100 for nippers.

You're getting ripped off. The local dollar store here has them 2 for a dollar!

Compared to weekly appointments with a psychiatrist ....
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by shortcaster View Post
    Don't have to get the newest, neatest, cutest to impress folks you don't even know. My spousal unit says I'm cheap. I prefer the word frugal.
    Frugal and prudent used to be considered virtues. They still are, in some quarters.

Regards,
    Ed

It is nice to have some top of the line stuff, I have some of it, but since I retired I find myself looking at lower end gear or even seeing if I can make it myself.
    And there are times when top end gear is really needed as when bone fishing. You don't want your cheap reel failing when that bonefish takes off on a blistering run across the flats.
    Last edited by cycler68; 04-04-2015 at 02:58 PM.

I once talked to the guy running the fly shop in a Bass Pro shop and he said he had people come in ask for the most expensive flyrod he had just because they wanted one that cost more than their friends rod did. I said send them to me I have a bunch of them that cost more than their friends, guaranteed! Amazing what people will pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I once talked to the guy running the fly shop in a Bass Pro shop and he said he had people come in ask for the most expensive flyrod he had just because they wanted one that cost more than their friends rod did.
    Interesting. My local Bass Pro stocks Sage, Orvis and St. Croix, but TFO outsells 'em all.

Fly fishing gear is not much more expensive than conventional fishing gear. Check out a fishing shop or bait shop that carries Japanese hard baits or muskie lures and see how much money a guy can spend on a handful of lures. St. Croix and G. Loomis make some expensive spinning and casting rods and bass fisherman have a bunch of rods rigged and ready to go on their boats. Quality salt water fishing gear of any type is not cheap. No one "needs" the most expensive rod of any type, but their are always sineguys that will buy them.

My friends that I spin fish with use the same use the same brands of waders, wading boots, vests, and chest packs (Simms/Patagonia/Fishpond) that I use. This gear isn’t cheap, but it tends to work very well and it usually lasts a long time. In my opinion, some of the gear on your "expensive" list is worth the premium.

I was out at a local trout pond a few years ago. I was just getting to where I felt really comfortable with my casting and I noticed a fella arrive with the entire Orvis catalog look. High dollar gear galore. He watched me from a distance as I watched him out of the corner of my eye. He got lined out and began a terribly frustrated attempt to cast. I recognized it because just a year or so earlier that was me, only I was more secrative of my attempts and only brought out my flyrod when there was no one around to hear me curse. The gentleman soon became angered and packed up his gear and left. I still bear the guilt of not approaching him and offering help, but at the time I didn't think enough of my own skills to be sharing them with others.
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 04-03-2015 at 02:05 AM.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Flyfishing is a personal pursuit. Although admittedly many can be as fickle as a debutant at a reunion. I've had folks look at my gear first on the water before even saying hello. That being said, I like the fact that the same results can be achieved for $50 or $1000. Your choice. I have a 4-pc 8' 4wt Cabelas Three Rivers rod that I bought new for $39. It wears a used 20yr old SA System 1 reel that cost me $20 on EBay. I also have higher end gear as well. But the reality is, its all vanity. Because that Three Rivers rod does 100% of what any other 8' 4wt on the market can do. But its yours to choose.

+ Reply to Thread