+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tippet rings

Default tippet rings

I started using tippet rings a couple of years back, and It sure has cut down on the number
    of tapered leaders I buy each year. recently I have taken up fishing soft hackles again. back in the sixties when fishing wet flies I would tie a dropper loop on my leader, add a length of tippet material and add a second fly to my wet fly rig. with the advent of the tippet ring I was thinking of attaching a short section of tippet material to the ring and attaching my second fly to it.

any body have any experience or thoughts about doing this.

This is a pretty common technique among the Czech nymphing crowd. I've done it a couple of times myself on swivels (used in same fashion you use the ring) but did not like how the dropper would wrap around the leader when casting in wind unless very stiff tippet material was used, so I went back to dropper off the bend. When fishing close or from a boat, this would be less of a problem, but for the type of nymphing/streamer fishing I do, a long cast in wind is inevitable. YMMV.

There are a number of threads in the furling section on this board with lots of additional info about their use.

I pretty much gave up on small tippet rings, as I have a very difficult time tying them in, especially on a river. I add tippet material using loop to loop connections even though I often have to cut the front loop to take off the front material.

Using rings to add a dropper seems like a great idea in theory.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by john52948 View Post
    I started using tippet rings a couple of years back, and It sure has cut down on the number
    of tapered leaders I buy each year. recently I have taken up fishing soft hackles again. back in the sixties when fishing wet flies I would tie a dropper loop on my leader, add a length of tippet material and add a second fly to my wet fly rig. with the advent of the tippet ring I was thinking of attaching a short section of tippet material to the ring and attaching my second fly to it.

any body have any experience or thoughts about doing this.

John,

Scroll down:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/le...ccesories.html

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

thanks for the help guys, now all I have to do is learn how to cast a two fly rig again.

+ Reply to Thread