+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Profile Plate?u

Default DIY Profile Plate?u

Have been checking out DIY profile plates online. I still use the archaic poster board laying on the table technique, and, out of boredom, want to make something else.

What do you guys use? I've seen the articles here, but would like to see what else is out there!

Thanks!

I found a piece of white box with the right folds and made a kind of easel - using a rubber band and paper clip to hold it back at an angle.

I used to have a cheap magnifying make-up mirror behind my vise. It gave me a background and allowed me to see the back side of the fly. I took it down when I was photographing some flies and never put it back so maybe I really didn't need it.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

The best DIY profile plate I have seen yet (and I have one) is made by BassBug over on the FlyTyer forum. Excellent design and mine has been trucking along for about 6years or so now.

Blog Entries

id love to see it

DIY Proplate.jpg

The hoop is made form an embroidery hoop. the inner hoop is cut in half with a coping saw to work as a clamshell to hold the cardboard inserts. I put blue on one side and white on the back since it's reversible. The theaded nut on the left side is epoxy'd on. The rod is 1/8" brass rod threaded on both ends. The base is cut from a wood block. the vise hole and rod holes are drilled through. The end nuts drilled out with brass threaded inserts epoxy'd in. It's fully adjustable and very durable. Mine is a 6" hoop...but I've seen them up to 10". While not simple to build, it's not too hard either, and is fully functional. Bass_Bug nailed it IMO. Love mine.

I just took an empty cardboard box from work, brought it home, and using a box knife, cut off a section that included a corner of the box. I taped some light blue textured posterboard to the cardboard. I set it up like an A-frame behind my vise. Works good, dirt-cheap. Now, if I can just keep the freaking cats from knocking it off, and getting pawprints all over it.

Ralph, any chance to get the link to the original info? Your description is good, don't get me wrong, but I need lots of help! I tried searching the fly tying forum and couldn't find it.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

He didn't post the instructions. But you can hit him up on the FlyTyer forum. He'd probably be willing to help you out.

Thanks Ralph. I'll give that a try, you gave us the screen name.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread