+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skunk?

Hybrid View

Default Skunk?

I do know there are fly patterns out there by the name "Skunk", but my real question for the Gurus of this site is...............
    Are there any fly patterns anyone may know of which actually uses Skunk Hair in the construction of a particular fly pattern?

It may not be the most pleasant smelling materials to work with unless thoroughly de-scented, but I'm curious because of all the other natural materials out there which we use in our endeavours.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Interesting question because I've never seen a pattern that called for skunk per se. I know folks who use skunk as a polar bear substitute in wings for steelhead flies, and while I've never seen pattern that calls for skunk explicitly, I would not be surprised to find one.

according to my universal fly tying guide by dick stewart, copy write 1979 , the pattern listed on page 45 called the skunk. uses both black and white skunk tail.

I have tyed a few with skunk, both black and white and red and white. As was stated the white makes nice hair wings. The under fur can be used for nymphs. Oh it doesn't stink.

How about the well known Green Butt Skunk steelhead fly?

Charlie Brooks also tied a Skunk Hair Caddis.

The original Skunks (both Green Butt and original) used skunk hair. It was replaced on commercial versions by bucktail since it's so much easier to get. You can get skunk hides from furriers for a pretty fair chunk of change, but the hair really is nice.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/7370.html

Range of prices here. You might contact them for more suitable material.

Got mine from an international taxidermy that was located in the town I was residing in. Was given a lot of exotic (to the fly tying trade) materials just for the asking. I also made it a point to give the owners some of the handiwork I produced from their generosity.

Some they fished and some they in turn gave away to their clientele. Made some lifelong friends and customers as well. Proving again that one man's trash is another's treasure.....
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

All I know is, I ran a trapline for 10 years. Dealt with a lot of skunks. Been sprayed a couple of times. Nothing in this world could possess me to need to tie with a material so badly as to start processing skunk pelts. I'll stick with black bear and bucktail as a substitute.

Ed, I carry that recipe and a few dog first aid Items In my ammo case every fall. Unfortunately I did not have it when I had the skunk hide.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I found that being hit dead-on by a skunk actually wasn't all that bad. In a minute or two, I couldn't smell anything and didn't smell anything for days. Alas, that immunity did not extend to the rest of my boy scout troop. Hence the 4 hour shower...

Regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread