Thread: I Don't Need No Stinking Net!!!

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default I Don't Need No Stinking Net!!!

I have heard this phrase from trout anglers numerous times. I always smile every time I hear it. Using a net is a personal thing I also hear. I am a firm believer in using proper gear for the job you are trying to do. Many time when folks see my net they have a comment. Some say delusions of grandeur and others say I am a positive thinker.

Many trout anglers start out with what I call a token net. It is way too small and not deep enough to even handle a medium sized brown. It may be good for brook trout but do you really need a net for a brook trout? These nets can also be seen on many lodge walls. They are quickly found to be useless and made in to decorations.

A longer handle and a deep bag are required for the true "Trout Hunters." The handles can be too long. Too long of handles make for hard carrying and a hard to carry net will go on the wall along with the token net.

Hard to carry comes in to play now. There are many net releases on the market. The two that are the most handy and angler friendly are the Rose Creek Net Release and The Magnetic Release. They both hold your net securely on your back.

Secure is one thing but hard to unhook is another. That squeeze attach net release is absolutely worthless when you have a giant trout alligator rolling directly at your feet and you are using your non-strong hand to reach behind you on the center of your back and prying open that release when you are excited and a trout of a lifetime is one more alligator roll away from getting away.

I currently own two LDH Nets. I did go to a Brodin salmon ghost net for only one netting of a large trout. The make up of the net was more trout friendly and peer pressure prevailed so I bought one. The net was not deep enough and the trout escaped before a photo. I sold the net two weeks later.

My LDH Steelhead Net is 14.5"w by 19.5"h inside measurement with a total length of 32.5". The bag is not tapered and 28 inches deep. The net is held secure between my shoulders hoop up by a Rose Creek Net Release. It has a bungee cord but I do not use it.

I can preach all I want about nets but a real life netting of an enormous trout can say it all. Dan and Derek were fishing a small stream in southwestern Wisconsin. It was Derek's turn to fish a hole. Dan was the net man and Derek had the Go-Pro attached to his cap. The photos are screen captures of the video.

Derek hooks into an absolute monster. The trout is strong and really gives Derek a battle. It finally calms down and Dan has his net out and reaches out to net the monstrous male brown.

Dan looks at the net and it seems small in comparison to the massive male brown. It was the only net they had with them so it was it or no net at all. Dan tried to get the trout in and it was much too big to fit in the net sideways. A little adjusting and the trout was in the net.

Then the **** hit the fan. The massive 27 inch male trout started to thrash in the shallow net and nearly escaped on three occasions. You will never hear a seasoned trout angler say they wished they had a smaller net.
    Last edited by spinner1; 03-26-2015 at 05:41 AM.