Thanks for bringing this subject up Steve. And yes, I build my furled leaders following Kathy Scott's formula. For me at least, nothing out performs furled leaders for fly presentation on Spring Creeks and Freestone Rivers. They are delicate, strong and free of those annoying coil memories. Because of the built-in taper, they transfer energy from line to fly the way you would hope. I've seen Kathy's formula furled leaders perform very well on rod/line weights from Sage's 00 weight rod to the large inexpensive broomstick 8 weights. One reason I like them is that they are easier for me to see than mono. I believe that any line, regardless of color, when on the surface and viewed from under water is going to appear for the most part as a black line. Unless you land the line right on top of the fish, you usually won't spook it. I also use furled leaders for my warm water applications. Most all the lakes I fish are relatively free of "pond scum" so I use them for both dry fly and sub-surface fishing. For surface or in the film fishing I prefer brighter colors because they serve as an indicator of a subtle take. For sub-surface fishing I like the darker colors like olive or dark brown. I've asked myself if the colors make a difference in success, and my answer has always been "I don't know." But it makes a difference in my confidence and that plays a big part in success. I don't want to turn this into a commercial, but just know, I offer my leaders at about 1/3 the cost of the larger retailers. Thanks again Steve for bringing this subject up. I really like fishing furled leaders and I believe everybody should at least try them. Then they can form their own opinion as to the viability of furled thread leaders.