+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes and Me

Default Diabetes and Me

Just occurred to me I posted a long time ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Prescribed exercise, new diet, and 4 Metformins a day for 2,000mg.

Well I managed to cut that to 2 pills a day or 1,000.

I am more than pleased to inform that I have lowered my A1C from whatever it was, to 6.2, down to 5.1 and now am OFF meds for diabetes. The last time I saw the doc he referred to me as pre-diabetic as opposed to being diabetic. Since I last saw him I have eliminated meds for it. I will always be pre-diabetic, but believer I have conquered it in MY body.

Congrats to me. Not the point of the msg. Sort of it can be done...and informing those who know me I have beat diabetes in my honest opinion.

Jim

Congratulations to you Jim. I have family members who are diabetic and I know that it takes real discipline to change one's lifestyle and do what you have done to fight this disease. Well done!

All the best,
    Ted

Jim,

With the will and self-discipline you've shown, you have every right to pat yourself on the back. Well done and continued good health to you.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Hey, Jim, did you lose a lot? Congrats on conquering it.

Yes I did. I lost 35 lbs. I eliminated one of my blood pressure meds. Eliminated Metformin. Eliminated 4 anti-depression meds per day. 3 Zanax and one Effexor...which I was told I would never be able to stop. And I am so confident that I do not take my Glucose reading very often anymore. I believe I have control over it. It is a good thing. It is ALL good.........

Wow! That's great.

This is wonderful news and I know you worked very hard to get to the point you are at. You have the control and will power to get and keep your numbers low. Everyone with Diabetes should read your news.

WayneC

Thank you Scott, and Ted, and Karen and Wayne. Didn't post it to get kudos....but it feels good to get them.

Thank you all.

Credit goes to my new wife. Our first anniversary is coming up this June. She is a retired nurse and very knowing about what certain foods do to the body. Her knowledge has helped me greatly. I belive I have conquered prostrate cancer as well.

I was not aware that some foods cause inflammation in the body. That sugar feeds cancer....etc. She should write a book.....

We make our own bread with no sugar and no eggs. We use it to make pizza's, dough dabs, buns, wrap around no nitrite/nitrates turkey hot dogs....and bread. She makes yogurt by buying greek yogurt and uses that to make a healthy version of yogurt and ice cream. She uses it in a vitamix to max a warm bkfst cereal. We try to buy nothing but organic...and range fed. And we have awesome vegetables out of the garden in summer time. Winter where I are cannot have a garden. We also make a breadfast bar we call it, and healthy brownies.......

It is not a diet. As you said....it is just a lifestyle. I saw only a part of a news thing the other day.....but they were talking about a paleo diet. It sounds like what we are doing.....just fyi

Thank you again for the compliments. It does prove it CAN be done. I think many of us do not think it can.
    But it can happen.
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 03-21-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: to correct typos

Jim, so glad you found someone to share your life with.

Whitewolf,

Congratulations from another who was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, but is no longer diabetic. I'd add that the key is weight.

I would bet that you too lost a bunch of weight with your new life style. Great job!

At the time of my diagnosis (early 60's), I was at the peak weight of my life, and when you get fat, so does your liver, pancreas, kidneys and other organs. It 'aint rocket science... When your organs are full of fat, they don't work as well.

So, I made my own modifications of a Low Glycemic Load Diet: Eat high in soluble fiber - beans/peas, fresh fruits, vegetables, & avocados. I cut out the sugar, and reduced red meat and salt. I eat fresh berries and unsweetened yogurt for breakfast and seeds and nuts for snacks.

I cut out rice, bread and most other processed starches... No booze (it's just liquid sugar.)

It worked... I lost 25 pounds in three months... Dropped my cholesterol by 50 pt.s (now at 120 with perfect LDL/HDL ratios), dropped my blood pressure and triglycerides...

In addition, to my original Metformin script, at the time of my diagnosis, my doc was clamoring for me to go on statins and blood pressure med.s. Other than the Metformin, I wouldn't go on those med.s. Now these are non-issues.

Heck, I gave my personal diet to a friend (early 70's) with cholesterol and heart issues (not weight issues). At the time, he looked pretty bad... In less than 6 months, his doc took him off all 6 of his different medications! And he looks GREAT!

But like you said, it is a lifestyle change.

Hope a few others on the Board with a similar diagnosis will give this a try... It's not that hard!

Tight lines,

Kyle

P.S. At that time I'd just had two shoulder surgeries and walking and exercise hurt, so I did very little, before or after the diagnosis. My doc still doesn't understand how all those beans reversed my diabetes... HA!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 03-22-2015 at 04:00 PM. Reason: grammer
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread