+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pa Trout Regs Proposed

Default New Pa Trout Regs Proposed

[url=http://www.fish.state.pa.us/:f3612]http://www.fish.state.pa.us/[/url:f3612] First article under "Press Releases"

Little Juniata33,,so what do you think about article? juniata carp are looking better,and better ,11 inch trout,0.58 oz in 2007

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

3. Default

Please send your comments/opinions to: [url=http://www.state.pa.us/Fish/regcomments:811b2]www.state.pa.us/Fish/regcomments[/url:811b2]

ThePF&BC wants to eliminate barbless hook requirements in C&R waters. This has been repeatedly shown to increase trout mortality. Also they want to lift wading restrictions, especially in wild trout waters and this would likely decrease the amount af natural reproduction in these streams such as the historic LeTort Spring Run and Spring Creek to name a few.
    Fishing pressure on these streams is year-round and intense as it is on most good water in populated areas. Wading/fishing restrictions in the fall spawning period and continued barbless hook requirements seem like a wise idea.
    Trout are pretty much gone from stocked waters by july so pressure mounts on the C&R streams after that. Don't believe that C&R only is the answer in stocked streams because 1) The streams are marginal water quality (that's why they're stocked to begin with) and 2) poaching is rampant and uncontrolled so the majority of stocked trout are yanked out of "no-kill" water by summer also.

4. Default

My Opinions:

Change to C&R FFO:

No effect. Virtually all of the law abiding anglers who use DH and Heritage special regs waters release everything anyway regardless of the likely hood that the fish will holdover for any period time, whether it be 2 more months or a whole year.
    Poachers will still poach.

Changes to ATTT & TTALO:
    Increase to 24" size limit = virtual C&R. 24" is a h@ll of a big fish. Only downside is year round creel.

New designation of C&R AT:
    Ok. Most people who like C&R waters will end up useing flies and artificials anyhow.

Lifting of wading ban:
    I'm ok with emilminating this rule for the time being. Needs further research.

Barbless hooks:
    Fine, by me. Too many conflicting reports and opinions on the effectiveness of this rule.

Fishing hours:
    Ok too. Might as well let the lawful anglers fish at night. The poachers have done it for years.

Overall I think that these regs are a good step towards developing and maintaining quality trout fisheries. PA still has a long way to go, but this is definately a start. Some may question putting C&R on stocked water (DHFFO), but for a fish commision that has a history of catering to meat fisherman any C&R regs are a welcome improvement.

Kev

I have to agree with Penn Kev. on the proposed changes, except for the barbless rule. I know that before I fly fished I didn't crimp barbs. I still don't on everything, but I have yet to loose a fish due to a hook not having a barb, IMHO. I think that the idea of a barbless hook is great in that it can really reduce the amount of handling a fish will receive. The no wading change may be a bad idea too, but only time will tell. One thing I would really like to see the PFBC do, is to take more of the moneys from trout stamps and fishing licenses and put them towards improving and preserving wild fish populations, whether they be cold or warm water fishes. Stocking is a necessary evil, but I think it has been used poorly.

Jeff

Wading on the Letort and Big Spring IS permitted but anyone who has tried it either knows why no one does it, or is STILL stuck in the silt.

I already sent my comments to the Fish Commission and urge anyone who cares to do so as well. The attempt by the PAF&BC to open the Delayed Harvest Fly Fishing Only waters to all tackle during the harvest period was met with such overwhelming opposition that they bagged the idea. I guess that means they listen to angler comments, sort of.

While I don?t have too many issues with the proposed changes I do think that allowing wading on the Heritage Stretch of the Little Lehigh will be a disaster. Even though I abhor the place; it does offer a refuge to catch fish when the water is freezing and I and many others don?t feel like wading. Unfortunately the place already is courtesy challenged and if they open it to wading, I expect it will be the best place in PA to catch a good fight; sort of like going from FFO to WWF. I am personally going to see if the City of Allentown will intervene since they own the stream property.

The barbless hook thing is more about @$$holes and less about barbs. I have seen just as many idiots that are clueless when it comes to playing and releasing fish using barbless hooks as barbed.

I just wish PA would leave what works alone and at least leave the 7 Heritage Waters alone. It?s only seven creeks, how difficult can that be to manage? Or better yet go back to the old Limestone Springs designation that covered only the Letort, Big Springs and Falling Springs. These three are truly the most unique creeks in the state and like them or not they do have a special heritage and history that should afford them a special regulation.

I agree with Bamboozle on the issue with
    the Letort,Big Spring and Falling Spring.
    These streams should be more priority then
    any other mainly because of the history and the unique ecosystems they are. I have sent
    my opinions to the Fish Commission hopeing
    it will make a difference. As for the Little Lehigh it should be left alone just the way it is.There are alot of anglers there handicap or not who really appreciate the no wadding regulations. After all these
    years why change. Is the Fish Commission really that mad about the closing of Big Spring Hatchery to go this far and distroy the Heritage Waters for good?

what has T U been doing about this proposal.are all that post here from Pa. belong to T U ?

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

[This message has been edited by buildsrods (edited 17 March 2005).]

https://www.state.pa.us/papower/cwp/vie ... 38140&PM=1 tell The PF&BC what you think,,its easy and might do more good than us talking here. dont mean we shouldn't post here.

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

[This message has been edited by buildsrods (edited 17 March 2005).]

10. Default

Here's the URL to PATU's response to the proposed changes. However, this response from TU is outdated (Feb.) and some of the proposals have been changed since this letter written.
    [url=http://www.patrout.org/Proposed_Regulations_Changes.htm:5f431]http://www.patrout.org/Proposed_Regulations_Changes.htm[/url:5f431]

+ Reply to Thread