+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Humpy's?

Default Suggestions for Humpy's?

I Tied a humpy today, and for the tail i used bucktail, and it seemes it will hold up pretty well. Does anyone know if it will for sure? Also, I was looking a fly fishing magazine (which I use quite often for fy tying references) And I noticed that most of the humpy's had deer hair tails. Is this for some specific reason, or can anyone recomend good materials to use for tails?

Flytyer317- I always use the same material for the tail as the "humpback". I usually use a hollow hair like deer or elk and use the ends to fold ove as back. and to test is it is ok...put it in a sink full of water and splash water all over it, It should stay up, it's made for rough water, I'm not sure if that is a valid way for testing...
    -Fly_Fisher_12

Deer hair is hollow and floats (and is the traditional material for this fly), while bucktail is not hollow and tends to sink. You could also use as tailing moose mane, elk hair, or whatever type of material "floats your boat (fly)." Use your imagination and ingenuity.

John

Deer, Elk, and moose will all float well. Elk is more durable than deer hair, I would sure try elk hair and see how you like it. Try to avoid elk with many broken tips. The fish may not care, but fly tyers do.
    Someone with more knowledge of hair can tell you specifically what elk hair will flair the right amount for a hmmpy.
    Bob Scheidt

I like to try and use deer belly hair if I can, it is nice and fine and soft, lovely to handle. It makes a great humpy for the fast broken and skinny water I use them in in Oz mountain streams, very durable too. It's great for smaller sizes too, like 16 and 18. If anyone has a supply of this make sure you grab it, it is hard to buy, or at least it is here in Oz. Most of what I can get is the coarser stuff which I do not like much.

I think the only reason that a different fur is stipulated for teh tail is to help differentiate it when you fold the back over. I tape the tail down with sticky tape while I am fiddling with the back to avoid this problem.

[This message has been edited by Gringo (edited 03 February 2005).]
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I use moose body for the tail and shellback. sometimes I'll hit the shell w/ a couple coats of head cement for durability.

I don't really care for the appearance of deer/elk tails and wings on humpies or wolves; I prefer calftail or snowshoe hare.

humpies are great fish getters and don't hesitate try any color. my best have been black and pink.

mgj

I like elk hock for humpy tails.

------------------
    Ron M

I remember having some fun tying humpies out of poly yarn.
    The poly yarn served as a tail, the hump, and the wings.
    The fly was hard to sink and easy to tie. Didn't look that bad either.

I have been tying these using yak hair in various hi-vis colors with the under body consisting of Uni glo yarn. Really good for low light periods. The yak hair is coarse and traps air.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

Stev Lenon, 91B20'68-'69
    When the dawn came up like thunder

I tie mine with foam backs.
    The alwyas flaot anad are easier to see.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread