Transitions is just one brand of photochromatic technology eye wear. I have been using photochromatic lense sunglasses almost exclusively for 15 years now. Brands I have used include Habervision, Smith Action Optics, and Hobie. I don't find the photochromatic lense any better or worse than standard lenses for spotting fish. I do find color for the lense to be more important preferring amber, copper lenses, or brown in most situations. So if I have a photochromatic copper lens and a standard copper lens I do not find much difference whereas I find a big difference between say grey and copper lenses.

I prefer photochromatic lenses over standard lenses because they adjust to variable light conditions whether the variation be due to partly cloudy skies , working along a stream from shade to sun, or just dawn or dusk.

I do find that most photochromatic lenses do not get as dark as some standard lenses so I prefer standard lenses in very bright conditions such as may be encountered on saltwater flats on a cloudless day or high in the mountains where you get a lot of bright light reflected off of exposed granite or snow.