+ Reply to Thread

Thread: World Fishing Network

Default World Fishing Network

Anybody know why Charter dropped the World Fishing Network? Just noticed that it is no longer on. I'm going to call to complain next week but I'm sure that will be fruitless.

They had some really good fly fishing shows on it which I hate to see go.

Blog Entries

World Fishing Network makes a perfect jump-to for when I'm watching baseball and there's an inning change or pitching change...but every few months FIOS yanks it from my plan and makes me prove I "deserve" it. heck, with what they charge for their sports tier...never mind!
    just another frustrated fan...
    oh, yeah, and then they moved it, and with 1674 choices, I've not found it yet...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

At least you could get it - Direct TV doesn't even offer it - here in the frozen north it is DTV or nothing!
    Mike

I called Charter and they said the reason for dropping WFN was lack of viewership and if enough people called wanting it back they would put it back on. I told her that was bull because if that was the reason then half the worthless channels they carry would be dropped.

I suspect that WFN upped their charge for the cable outfitters to carry it.

Always follow the money.

Up here in Canada, our cable robbers would tease us with a month long free viewing usually at this time of year (Feb/ March) when most folks were stuck inside unless you were an ice fisherman. Even though shows were mainly from the US, I watched them, enjoyed them and learned a few new things from them. It was interesting to see what folks do in their love of the sport.
    This year..............nadda...........the cable robbers weren't sucking in enough subscribers to pay their out-of-line monthly fee for that channel, so instead we were given back 9 shopping channels, 6 government cabinet meeting BS channels, 11 channels in languages other than English and 17 sports channels (mostly Hockey) of which I have little interest in.
    Once again it is just nickel + dime the consumers to death (and our Gov'ts worry about record levels of personal debt)..............when the heck is the BS gonna stop!!
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

You can get a good sports pkg if you are already a customer of dish. I pay only $27 a month for the welcome pkg. That is a receiver that feeds two tv's as if they were separate boxes...meaning each can be watching different channels. So don't have to pay extra for the second tv. Then it's $6 for dvr svc. Pretty economical. Anyway.....being a customer one can get the sports pkg which is only three channels. WFN, Sports channel, and Outdoor channel (well it includes MATV if you have HD). All customers get the PRST channel which is hunting and fishing. So one can put all four of them in a favorites list. This sprots pkg is only $4 per month for an existing customer. A pretty good deal I think. Last time I checked with Direct they have a pkg that is $12 a month and has none of the channels I just listed. Theirs is an athletic sports pkg.....not hunting or fishing and three times as much. Just info in case anyone wants this kind of svc.

Oh, I forgot to add...yes...adding the sports pkg would be $4 more and so I would pay $31 a month. I could not find it by just searching dish on the internet so I did a chat. Still $4 a month for an existing customer.
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 03-19-2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: additional info

Well, today I decided to call their corporate headquarters in NY. Tried to talk to the CEO but they wouldn't put me through to him. Told them of my (any many others) displeasure of dropping WFN. A nice lady called me back in about an hour and confirmed that they dropped it and said they also plan to drop the Outdoor Channel shortly. She said they were going to also drop the Sportsman channel but they got so many complaints that they decided to not drop it.

She said if they got enough people wanting WFN back on they would probably put it back on.

I still couldn't get a straight answer on why they dropped the two hunting&fishing channels but kept the Cricket Channel.

If we could get enough people flooding them with complaints maybe they will restore it.

Just an update and FYI for those who are currently Dish subscribers but do not subscribe to the "Sports Package" at $4 per month.

The Sportsmans Channel and the WFN channel are free for this month. You can go to channel 103 and see what channels are free this month.

free for April.... thru May 5th of this month
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 05-02-2015 at 10:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread