+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patting Myself on the Back

Default Patting Myself on the Back

Check Engine light came on in the Tundra. Got the codes run, crossing fingers for loose gas cap, but it came up as a bad oxygen sensor; not the cheaper one behind the cat converter but the more expensive ($140 with 30% discount) upstream one. First thing I did after locating the sensor was to spray where it screwed in to the exhaust manifold with PB Blaster (way better than WD40) and let it sit overnight - oxy sensors are notorious for "freezing" in place, requiring a mechanic to get them off. Easiest way to access was from the underside; after a few minutes of contorting my body to get my hands in a good position, slid the socket on the sensor and darned if it didn't come right off; unplugged it and that was that. Put some anti-seize on the threads of the new one, screwed it in, inserted the plug end into it's receptacle, disconnected the negative terminal to the battery for 30 minutes, re-attached, put the key in the ignition and no more Check Engine light (for now).
    It would have been easier with baby-sized hands but really not very difficult a repair and I saved myself about $300-350.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Scott,
    Doesn't it feel GREAT when a repair like this goes according to plan? For me, at least, they almost never do! Thanks for posting so the rest of us can get some pleasure from your success.
    Regards,
    Ted

Way to go Scott. Had the same one to go out on our Highlander last year only I didn't have the "smarts" to do it myself.
    Cost $340. Next time I'm calling you.

George

Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    Scott,
    Doesn't it feel GREAT when a repair like this goes according to plan? For me, at least, they almost never do!
    Ted,

I won't tell you what I had to go through to get the front brake rotors off; definitely didn't go according to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Old #art View Post
    Had the same one to go out on our Highlander last year only I didn't have the "smarts" to do it myself.
    Cost $340. Next time I'm calling you.

George,

The interweb is a marvelous tool (almost as powerful as the PB Blaster!); amazing what's available.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Congrats on the mechanicing job. I recently had to do a little plumber work (about my most unfavorite household jobs) on the kitchen faucet. I discover pouring a little white vinegar on the faucet nuts and threaded parts will free hem up after a short soak. I'm going to have to find some PB Blaster, I'm out of penetrating oil.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread