I have been looking for a craw pattern as well that is easy to tie but doesn't require a bunch of materials. On another list there was a discussion about woolly buggers and that they probably imitate a crayfish to trout under some circumstances. So I was thinking if there was a way I could represent a cross between a bugger and a craw. I came up with a pattern but haven't fished it yet and though I'd share it here.

What I did is use a 6X long hook, and started the thread at the bend of the hook and tied in the chenille and wrapped it forward a turn or two then tied on a set of dumbbell eyes in black. I then wrapped the chenille criss-cross across the eyes and then took a turn behind the eyes. Then I tied in the marabou (2) feathers, one on each side so that the eyes spread the marabou out like pincher's. I then tied in the hackle and wrapped the thread back to the eye where I tied in a short piece of marabou with the feather covering the eye as a tail fin. Then I wrapped the chenille to the eye. palmared the hackle to the eye and tied off.

In a large bowel of water I think it acts like I wanted. Anyone ever done anything similar? I'll try to post a picture later.

Dan

------------------