+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winston BIIX sinlk tip line question

Default Winston BIIX sinlk tip line question

I have a Winston BIIX 9' 6wt and I want to get a line to use with streamers. I know that this series generally doesn't do well with sinking lines but what I need is a line to use when fishing streamers for rout or smallies to get me a little deeper than with a floating line. would appreciate hearing from someone using this rod with one of the streamer tips. I am partial to Wulf lines and have great success wit a RIO Outbound full sink for saltwater. Thanks for your comments.
    Dave

Dave,
    I have used a 150 grain sink tip line with this rod and have found that it cast fine. It is an Orvis line and I think that the sink tip portion is 24 ft long. You will want to cast it like a shooting head. That is, strip the line in until you have only the sink tip portion out of the rod tip. Don't try to pick up the line if you have much more line out than that. When you cast, don't allow too much "overhang" of the sink tip portion beyond the rod tip. I find that if I get more than 10 feet or so of the running line out it doesn't cast well. This amount of line should load the rod well so that you can shoot whatever remaining line you need to reach your target.
    Have fun with it. I really like my Biix 6wt, so long as I don't try to overload it too much.

Ted

Very possibly my favorite rod. I sometimes fish it with a sink tip as well and have had no problems doing so. I follow the same general procedures which Ted laid out, which I think are appropriate to sink tip lines in general. The one I use is the Rio DC 15, which is a density compensated 15' sinktip. I happen to use the type 6, which has a sink rate of 6"/second, because I use it on a big, fast tailwater, but they also offer a type 3, with a sink rate of 3"/second. Both are available in a WF6, which I found to match that rod just fine.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...6-sinking-tip/

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...3-sinking-tip/

+ Reply to Thread