+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Look but don't touch

Hybrid View

Default Look but don't touch

Saw these while taking a walk yesterday

goldfinch

bluebird

Tempted, but left them where I found them. Picked up some shed goose primaries by a creek, so that was pretty nice compensation.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I live with that temptation regularly. We have 3 feeders on our deck and there are frequently cardinal, wren and sometimes blue jay feathers on the ground. I do pick up an occasional mourning dove feather, but I don't think I have ever used one. I have been hoping for a grackle (they are legal to kill) but haven't had one in the yard in forever.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I live with that temptation regularly. We have 3 feeders on our deck and there are frequently cardinal, wren and sometimes blue jay feathers on the ground. I do pick up an occasional mourning dove feather, but I don't think I have ever used one. I have been hoping for a grackle (they are legal to kill) but haven't had one in the yard in forever.
    Uncle Jesse, I think grackle came off the "legal to kill" list in the US about 3-4 years ago. I posted about plans to shoot some for feathers and another FAOL'er posted a link to the relevant bit of legislation. I forgot who posted it, but I', very glad they did.

Regards,
    Ed

Here's the list

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/re...a/MBTANDX.HTML

It's not all-inclusive because there are birds not on the list that are covered by the Endangered Species Act or other state or federal legislation.

From a USGS notice on possession of migratory birds http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/birds/feathers.htm

"all species except the house sparrow, feral pigeon, common starling, and non-migratory game birds like pheasants, gray partridge, and sage grouse, are protected."

Guess this thread was timely; certainly wouldn't want to see Jesse end up in the slammer.

Regards,
    Scott

Anyone ever actually been busted for using fledged feathers? The same kind of rules are in place here to prevent folks from shooting protected birds, but nailing us fly tiers for using found feathers seems a bit extreme don't you think?
    I'm curious to know if a CO officer has ever stopped to check out what materials were tied onto anyone's size #22 wet fly.......ha!
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

David,

Don't know if it's urban legend, but I heard a tyer at a show was busted for having prohibited feathers. I don't really see it as extreme - who's to say how the feathers were collected? Anyone could say they found a stray feather or 2 laying on the ground; they could just as easily be walking the woods with a pellet gun harvesting hackle and winging materials. There's so much legal stuff available to tyers that there's no reason cross the line.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    Anyone ever actually been busted for using fledged feathers? The same kind of rules are in place here to prevent folks from shooting protected birds, but nailing us fly tiers for using found feathers seems a bit extreme don't you think?
    I'm curious to know if a CO officer has ever stopped to check out what materials were tied onto anyone's size #22 wet fly.......ha!

David, if there is a CO who doesn't like you, it would give him the excuse to bust you. If a CO somewhere needs to fill a quota for citations, the same could apply. It would just be giving someone a chance to vent his/her bad day at your expense.

Regards,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post

A few years ago a sixth grader in southern Indiana had a science fair exhibit confiscated for having feathers he picked up in his back yard. He was warned but not charged and his display ended up in a museum.

It is just not worth the risk.

Jerry

+ Reply to Thread