+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scissors

I have 2 favorites. One is the Dr. Slick 4" tungsten scissors. They are about $24, worth it as they are very sharp and durable. For fine work I like the Ghinger nips. They are black in color and very similiar to the Weiss quick clips, only the Ghingers are smaller and finer.
    Another note, I keep my favorite pairs away from any super glue work. Head cement is OK, super glue will ruin them. Hard to get off.
    If you don't want to spend $24 for the tungstens, I would go with the regular Dr. Slicks.
    Bob Scheidt

Anvil Ice Tempered...

------------------
    "Fear No Fish"

Guess I'll cast a negative about the Dr. Slicks. I have 3 (bought as a set). None are the TC or Razor so I can't speak about those. Anyway, I don't care for them. Not that sharp, too heavy and the finger loops are too large.

My preferences are the Thompson Ice Tempered (3-1/2") and the Griffin 4" with the black finger loops.

Allan

Sounds like your Arrows you have are meant for finer materials and that you are trying to cut- items coarser than fine feather and threads. I have a pair. Dropped them. Bent the tips. Ground them down blunt-gave them to the wife for sewing!

Therefore I have some scissor recommendations for you based upon owner experience:

1) The Slick Gold Curved scissors that have one blade serrated(the bent handle black ones are good but for finer work). These gold curved scissors really grip hair and fur and will cut foams and just about anything. Hard to dull them. The serrations make a BIG difference in gripping and cutting power. I only re-sharpen the non-serrated blade with a ceramic trianglular rod. Just don't ever cut wire with your tying scissors.....

2) The Slick Razor Scissors. You can cut most everything with these (I don't use them on foams) and they have small enough tips to allow trimming tiny flies too. They are SHARP!

Lastly-I have the slick carbide scissors. Where they shine is their toughness & hardness. The metal just doesn't dent or bend if dropped. I sharpen these at home using a ceramic stone drawn along the blades. Easy to do.

Recap: If you want a scissor to cut most every material -then go with the Curved gold. If you want the sharpest for only fur, feathers and thread-get the Razors. If you are clumbsy and drop your scissors on the floor, get the Tungsten Carbide... My three cents..

Rich

I have several different brands of scissors but the ones I use most often are
    Wiss Sharp point quick (thread) clips that I purchased from Stan's sewing Supplies [url=http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1892912:9411f]http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1892912[/url:9411f]

They have replaceable blades.

Caught my 8 year old son being creative with my good scissors making a musical instrument out of wood a wire. We'll really miss that child.I like the Dr. Slick now kept under lock and key.

Wal-Mart Titaniums...come in two styles and sizes...One is in the $4 range, the larger one is $5 plus....and has curved blades, excellent for deer hair. I've had both pair for about a year now and cut everything with them including wire....no probs....Only thing is, you've got to peel out a thumbhole liner and smooth up the handle with sandpaper to get an acceptable grip.

+ Reply to Thread