+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anvil Atlas Fly Tying Vise

Question Anvil Atlas Fly Tying Vise

A new tier In
    our group Is considering an Atlas Anvil vise. None of our guys is familiar with them and all the testimonials posted in the ads are obviously five stars. Are there any negatives compared to a Peak or Renzetti Traveler? Thanks.

No negatives per se. We did a review on it and the Apex a while back: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/12/w...e-reviews.html Good vises...

These guys gave it a rave review. I have been lusting after the Apex's big brother, but I need to sale a knife first.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re..._Shoot-Out.htm
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Have used but not owned one, and did not think much of it versus the tons of other vises on the market. At that price point, I would be taking a serious look at the Peak, personally. There were some complaints about the jaws when they were first introduced, so you might want to do a quick search to see what was said way back when.

I test drove both the Apex and the Peak. Was not impressed by the Apex because it was kind of crude. Adjustability was so so, had a lot of play. The business end of the Anvil looks a lot like the Apex. At that price point I would take a good look at the Danvise. Yes, some Danvise components are made of plastic (Delrin) but the thing is quite well-made. I'd prefer that one over both the Apex and the Anvil any day. The Peak is even better. If I had to choose it would be the Peak!

I personally like the Anvil vise a lot. The Atlas is one of the best built vises out there at their price-point. A bit heavier than some. Not as polished as some. But you would want for nothing in functionality owning one, in my opinion.

To start with there is no such thing as an Anvil vise. Anvil was the name of the company marketing the Apex and Atlas Vises. Both vises were manufactured by Wolff Ind, which as a couple of years ago bought out the Anvil name. Both are very fine vises, as well as American made, an come with a lifetime warranty. Not a sales pitch, but I have sold well over a hundred of them in the last couple of years and had only one customer that I had send it back for a refund because it was not what he was after in a vise. Both come with a base mount as well as clamp on mount. Below is a review from one of the fly fishing sites here in Arizona
    http://www.azbythefly.com/articles/gear-reviews

+ Reply to Thread