Thread: A two handed rod for trout....

Threaded View

OMG Iceman! Far a better deal than I made! Hat's off to you. A custom line to go with it? Awesome. I now regret how much I have put out. A $40 running line recommended by a shop in Colorado, two Rio Max Short Skagit ($55 each) heads, $280 for rod....and guessing at the lines.....$455. Had I had enough presence of mine to calculate this before buying I would have not done it. I bought on impulse and the separate costs didn't seem that much in the moment. But wow at the end it bugs me. Oh well.....I done went and did it. I got'er did. Unfortunately.....Boy would I like to have gotten a rod from Steve and a line to fit it.......anybody wanna buy my gear now?

I don't know of problems a long rod solves. But I cast a 15' one time and became hooked. It was pure fun to do. The books say it is easier on the joints of the body than single hand casting. I thus think I can fly fish to an older age. I do like it on my stream (I have an 11' 6wt Cabelas Float Tuber) where I an dead drift and reach out further into the stream with the line than a short rod. But I think it is just a matter of what one likes and what one enjoys doing. Two handed you have less false casting and the hook in the water for more periods of time? Distance? Wind? Big flies? I dunno. Maybe it is just something new and different. Just a rookie wannabe....'tis all I will ever be.....
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 02-27-2015 at 03:49 PM.