+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A two handed rod for trout....

I talked to guy a couple of years ago in a streamside parking lot who said that he hadn't been fishing his one handed rods much that year because he was using a spey rod to nymph in very small streams most of the season. The long rods let him reach over bankside brush to dap his nymphs at the head of the holes and let them drift back under the brush with great success. It sounded like a fun way to catch brookies out of streams you can step across.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    I talked to guy a couple of years ago in a streamside parking lot who said that he hadn't been fishing his one handed rods much that year because he was using a spey rod to nymph in very small streams most of the season. The long rods let him reach over bankside brush to dap his nymphs at the head of the holes and let them drift back under the brush with great success. It sounded like a fun way to catch brookies out of streams you can step across.
    OR...just get a Tenkara rod for about 80 bucks and leave the 100 fly lines on the shelf...

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    OR...just get a Tenkara rod for about 80 bucks and leave the 100 fly lines on the shelf...

Brad
    You mean one of those telescoping Japanese dapping pole? Try casting a heavy streamer to the middle of a decent river with one. Fine on a smallish stream, but an even more limited tool than a two-hander, IMHO.

The spey rod is an interesting tool, and fun to play with, but an awful lot of folks seems to get them for all the wrong reasons, and I'm still unconvinced they are as versatile as a standard one-handed rod. Would recommend you take a serious look at a "switch" rod (what Winston calls "micro-spey") as opposed to a full two-hander, if you are just going after trout. I have not had a chance to try them yet, but Orvis introduced a line of very affordable switch/spey rods this year (the Clearwater line). Line choice is not that complicated these days because you can either by a matching line or just find an 2-3x oversized WF line, and you'll be ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    You mean one of those telescoping Japanese dapping pole? Try casting a heavy streamer to the middle of a decent river with one. Fine on a smallish stream, but an even more limited tool than a two-hander, IMHO.

The spey rod is an interesting tool, and fun to play with, but an awful lot of folks seems to get them for all the wrong reasons, and I'm still unconvinced they are as versatile as a standard one-handed rod. Would recommend you take a serious look at a "switch" rod (what Winston calls "micro-spey") as opposed to a full two-hander, if you are just going after trout. I have not had a chance to try them yet, but Orvis introduced a line of very affordable switch/spey rods this year (the Clearwater line). Line choice is not that complicated these days because you can either by a matching line or just find an 2-3x oversized WF line, and you'll be ready to go.
    I had and tried a 6wt switch rod briefly, and came to suspect the "switch" concept is highly overrated. You can cast them overhead, but, believe me, you don't want to. People may or may not find a valid use for a two-handed rod for trout fishing, but if you think a casting single-hand rod will tire you out, try casting a switch rod overhead for very long.

I don't like using a spey rod for making short casts. Also, unless I'm using a Skagit line, I don't like using a spey rod for casting heavier flies and fishing below the surface.
    Randy

Maybe It was more than a couple of years ago. I don't think I had ever heard of tenkara at that time. He may be using a tenkara rod by now. I just tucked the idea away in the back of my mind for if I ever did get a spey rod.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I'm going to have do some reading up on this stuff but when you guys talk about 3-4-5wt. 2 handed rods those lines are not the same lines I'd be using on my 7'6" rods. You talk about shooting heads and such and weighing lines in grains of certain weight and none of this makes sense to me if they rate the rod at a 4 wt. That should mean I should be able to grab one of my reels with a WF4F on it and go fish but doesn't sound that way when you talk about lines.

I like this blog post: Scandi (spey) vs Skagit (spey):
    http://www.jsrods.com/blog/skagit-or...-pt-1-history/
    Randy

Spey lines are two lines above single hand lines. Interpretation is sort of that a 6wt spey is the equivalent of an 8wt single hand rod. Thus early on when no one was making light trout rods you mostly saw 8wt "spey" rods on the market...far more than ever needed in the US in my opinion because that is like a 10wt single hand rod. It is very very confusing because you add in the different types and what a mess. Scandi, Skagit, Skagit Short, full long belly 120' spey lines....etc.

I got the 3/4 wt spey (called a switch but they are all built the same way. 12' and under they call switch and bigger than 12' they call them spey).....because it will be like a 5/6 wt single had rod. 6wt being great all around rod for where I live. Got the rod in yesterday and love it in hand. Wondering if the guides are big enough to shoot good line....and wish the butt end was longer.

If I can attach it.....here is a link to Rio's chart of grain wts. Optimum for my short 11' 3/4wt rod is 300 grain so I ordered a Rio Skagit Max Short 300 grain head. Only 20' of head. Good for a relatively short spey rod.

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summ...ne-weights.pdf

I have fished my little stream with my Cabelas 11' 6wt Float Tuber rod and liked it. But a tad long for fishing in close. I don't have much chance at dry fly fishing here. So I will be mostly using wet flies with my new rod

just fyi for those who might have slight interest

jim

Tenkara? isn't that just a fancy bamboo pole we used as kids?

+ Reply to Thread