Spey lines are two lines above single hand lines. Interpretation is sort of that a 6wt spey is the equivalent of an 8wt single hand rod. Thus early on when no one was making light trout rods you mostly saw 8wt "spey" rods on the market...far more than ever needed in the US in my opinion because that is like a 10wt single hand rod. It is very very confusing because you add in the different types and what a mess. Scandi, Skagit, Skagit Short, full long belly 120' spey lines....etc.

I got the 3/4 wt spey (called a switch but they are all built the same way. 12' and under they call switch and bigger than 12' they call them spey).....because it will be like a 5/6 wt single had rod. 6wt being great all around rod for where I live. Got the rod in yesterday and love it in hand. Wondering if the guides are big enough to shoot good line....and wish the butt end was longer.

If I can attach it.....here is a link to Rio's chart of grain wts. Optimum for my short 11' 3/4wt rod is 300 grain so I ordered a Rio Skagit Max Short 300 grain head. Only 20' of head. Good for a relatively short spey rod.

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summ...ne-weights.pdf

I have fished my little stream with my Cabelas 11' 6wt Float Tuber rod and liked it. But a tad long for fishing in close. I don't have much chance at dry fly fishing here. So I will be mostly using wet flies with my new rod

just fyi for those who might have slight interest

jim