Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; Feb 23 to March 2, 2015

Out of necessity American fishing tackle shops and factories were forced out of their infancy. One of the more noted of these early tackle pioneers, was Edward Pole of Philadelphia, who, a few years before the start of the revolution, launched his tackle business with the intent of supplementing the income he earned from his tavern. His tackle business became so brisk that he sold his tavern in 1788. Twelve years later in 1803, Pole sold his tackle business to George Lawton. Lawton has the distinction of outfitting one Captain Meriwether Lewis, who was preparing for inland exploratory expedition, with his friend Second Lieutenant William Clark. There will be more on Lewis & Clark and their contribution to North American sport fishing further on in this series. Another noted individual, from the period of the revolution, was Davis Hugh Davis, a Quaker and Inn keeper, who according to all current records was North America?s first commercial fly tier.

After the Treaty of Paris in 1763, new borders were ruffed out between Britain and the United States of America. One of the Loyalist, who chose Britain over the new America, Robert Hunter wrote these words on the fishing north of the new American/British border, forty miles outside Montreal.

?I took a walk after dinner, it?s astonishing the number of bass I saw playing in the current. They often catch three dozen in the course of half an hour with a fly. I think they are the finest fish I have tasted in America.?

Two years after the treaty was signed, Britain declared war against France, putting their ally the United States, at war with them against Britain again. The border battles would last until early 1815, when the signed Treaty of Ghent reached American soil.

During the time of all these wars, many advances in printing technology had been made, which allowed North American?s to develop printing industry and along with it, their own sporting literature and they took to it zealously. By the 1820 magazines; such as The American Farmer, Farmer?s Mechanic, and Manufacturer?s and Sporting Magazine, were printing articles on sport fishing.

?Of this literature, which is better known as American Sporting Literature, Mr. Porter may be said to be the founder and the head ?? George Wilkes 1858

Next week: the sport fishing war in print.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For better success try fishing close to shore in and around the northeast sections of your favorite lake, from mid morning through the afternoon. Try: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Wooly Bugger, Leach, Dragon nymph, Halfback, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is fair to good for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Flesh Fly, Anderson Stone, Eggo, Chez Nymph, Big Black, black Stonefly Nymph, or Micro Leach.

The Vedder River is good for steelhead. Try GP, Squamish Poacher, Polar Shrimp, Popsicle, Big black, Flat Black, Eggo, or black Stonefly Nymph.

The Harrison River is good for rainbow, and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Rolled Muddler, Zulu, Eggo, Chez Nymph, Big Black, Black Stone Nymph, Micro Leach.