+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wind River Range

Hybrid View

Default Wind River Range

Anyone fly fish the wind river range in Wyoming? Good chance that my wife & I are horse packing into this area late this summer, so I would really like to connect with anyone that has first hand experience fly fishing this region.

Thanks, Mark

Mark, I haven't fished the back country in the winds for a while but there are some great lakes. Do you know where you will be based out of? The Pindale area has some good outfiters and a couple of great fly shops and is close to where I live. Oh, about what time of the summer?
    Wyo-Blizzard

Wyo-Blizzard, thanks for the reply! We are still deciding on a destination of Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness or the Wind River Range. We haven't been to either. Our last pack trip, using our own stock, was 10 days in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, then relocated to the Yellowstone region for some more riding. So I'm interested in some first hand advice on fishing lakes that are miles and days rides away from trailheads, preferably not heavily used by outfitters. I'm also looking for another good fishing area to pack into in the region so if you know of any places outside the Wind River Range that we should consider I'm all ears. By the way, we only have 4 horses/mule & practice "leave no trace" so there is minimal impact on the places we go. Really appreciate any help on this.

as a 65 year resident of the wind river basin one of my favorites is the trail lake trailhead near dubois wy. trail from there will take you into the dinwoody basin, spectacular country plus fishing.

I'll look that up on our maps, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread