+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fibre glass rods

Hybrid View

Default Fibre glass rods

I have an 8' two piece fibre glass rod and a 6' one piece. Both are marked 'Lee Wulff by Abu Garcia.' They were purchased in the mid 1970's. I was wondering if they are worth anything to collectors. If so, I will leave them as is but if not then I will rewrap all the guides (epoxy cracking). I know that if I alter them the will not be as valuable to a collector. I have a feeling they are not that collectable (yet). Any one have any ideas on their value?

Refinish them and fish the crap out of them.

Might check over on the fiberglass forum to see if someone their collects them.

Don't get your hopes up before you do some research, for you may be disappointed in the end.
    I do happen to know that Abu Garcia along with Shakesphere, Penn and many other companies manufactured rods by the thousands after WW2 when fresh water fishing started to become a popular pastime. Composites, fibreglass, as well as cane rods became available at a reasonable price so families could enjoy the sport of fishing. By doing so, the market was flooded with these rods making it very difficult to determine the true value of such these days. Search the web and hopefully you'll find some interesting information regarding the value of old rods. EBAY might likely make you shake your head. There are sites pertaining to collectable rods, but I do not happen to have that info handy.......sorry or I'd pass them along to you.
    Personally, IMO I'd refurbish both rods (epoxy finish over any remaining identification markings to permanently affixed them to the rods) and fish them as suggested above, then pass them on down to your children/grandchildren so they can fish them for another 30 or so years after you.
    I've refurbished so many old fibreglass (hardware store bought) rods, because the owners just loved their "favourite rod" and wanted to continue to have the opportunity to fish them and then pass them on.
    Good luck with your search.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Check with Nathan at Fiberglass Fly Rod Fanpage on facebook. He has good information.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1436089429938250/
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

The Lee Wulff rods were top of the line from Garcia and one of the most collectible
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Yes, Tig, "Lee Wulff" model rods are collectible, and sought-after. The Lee Wulffs and the 2400 series seem to be sought after. See the fiberglassflyrodders.com site. I think you could get in the range of 75.00.
    -Peter

+ Reply to Thread