+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self Control

Blog Entries

I don't think its a matter of how long someone has been a member here when someone who disagrees with fellow members and refers to them as "fools".

If the rod truly meant that much to me, I'd sell some of my existing things to raise the funds to buy it. Most flyfishers (and any type sportsman for that matter) have things of value that they don't really use and could part with. I've sold numerous things here, on other sites, ebay, locally, etc and so I keep a balance in paypal for when deals come up. Even Home Depot takes Paypal now.

It is commendable you're able to not scratch the itch though.

Byron, I think that what Mark was saying is that I often try to put some humor into my posts. I should probably have put a smiley there but I seldom remember them. I wasn't trying to offend anyone.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

Sorry, but I don't see where the humor comes in. If someone says"Don't listen to these fools", please explain how that is humorous.

Saw the number of posts jumped today and I thought "wow I've struck something." So I checked it out and found this. I am dissappointed. Fellas, can we just admit that; A. We have differing ideas on humor and 2. there was a missunderstanding and leave it at that? We come here out of common interest and I myself, find a sense of community that is lacking in modern life. I would hate to think that these kinds of misscommunications could diminish that. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Also, the wife is not an issue, she supports me no matter the decision. We each set aside a percentage of our respective paychecks for individual discretionary funds.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Luke -

It seems to me that if you are debating whether or not you can afford that fly rod, you really CAN'T afford it.

Pay off that debt you mentioned first (how much interest are you paying on that credit card?, for example), and get those new tires to replace your bald ones, before buying a new fly rod.

You'll be a LOT better off, and feel better about it, in the end. There will be more chances to get a good deal on that fly rod (or one like it) in the future when you are better able to afford it.

John

P.S. Why pay for this excellent financial advice, when you can get it here for free?

Luke,
    my earlier reply was lighthearted and given in that vein. From someone who has bought and sold well over 75 rods over the years, I can certainly tell you a good deal will come along again. take care of your family needs first. There will be more BVK's and many other rods out there. I think the great majority of the rods I've bought have been previously owned or bought on sale at a significant discount. Buying that way I could try out a rod and pass it on to another at a great discount. Hang in there . Now that I am older and have more disposable income , I still am reluctant to buy a rod at full price when I know in a year or so, it will likely be greatly discounted or someone will have bought it, decided for whatever reason they do not want it and put it up for sale.
    And , regardless of price, I have never caught a trout or any other fish and said to myself "Gee, I wish I would have caught this on another ( you name the brand) rod" .
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Quote Originally Posted by sgallas2 View Post
    Luke,
    I have never caught a trout or any other fish and said to myself "Gee, I wish I would have caught this on another ( you name the brand) rod" .
    THAT is an excellent point!
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sgallas2 View Post
    Luke,
    ... I have never caught a trout or any other fish and said to myself "Gee, I wish I would have caught this on another ( you name the brand) rod" .
    Best,
    Steve
    I have. Using an 8wt. graphite rod for steelhead and caught a 2# brookie. All I could think of was I wish I'd have caught that on my 3wt. bamboo.

+ Reply to Thread