+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self Control

A few years from now you will forget the money you spent but regret not getting the rod. Go for it.

I won't advise you one way or another relative to financial priorities, that's ultimately up to you and/or your wife. But I will chime in about that rod. I was previously lukewarm on a lot of the TFO offerings, though I've always thought they were a fine company, but that BVK is in a class by itself in my opinion. I've had plenty of rods that cost much, much more than that one, but I thought the BVK cast as nice or nicer than any of them. I liked the 5 weight so much that I've bought two in fact, and I think it's as versatile and pleasant to cast as just about anything else I could hope to find, especially at its price point. There will always be nice rods to buy out there, and you may in fact find one of these used or on closeout someday at a price similar to your local shop's sale, but if you do figure out a way to justify it financially, I suspect you'll be thrilled with the rod.

Luke,
    My compliments on your "self control ". There ARE more important things than a new fly rod .

Mark

I just keep telling myself that even if I have to wait a few months and pay full price, it will feel so much better than sinking deeper into debt. My inner Scottsman is wrestling with himself on this one. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

As the youngsters say "YOLO"

I am in agreement that you should retain self-control financially. The ability to ward off sudden impulse purchases is hard for any of us. This is different tho. First, the medical can be put on payment plan of your choice. Second, this is an item you've looked at and wanted for some time and not an impulse purchase. I'm for buying the rod, enjoying the hell out of it this summer, and not looking back on this chance in the future and kick yourself. I remember a few times I've put off a purchase, decided to go ahead like I should of in the first place, then found I'd missed the opportunity.

As for bills being paid, the only reason the wife and I are comfortable in retirement with only S.S. and a pension is because everything on our lot is paid for. If I still had to be making payments on house, cars or truck or boats, we would not be so comfortable, so my advice to do it does not come from an impulse buyer but one who knows what it is to pass up a chance and regret later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Luke, ignore these fools! You have your priorities right. A new fly rod is a luxury item worth saving up for but never worth cutting into meeting your current responsibilities.

I think calling other posters "fools" is quite inappropriate.

LOL....I'm no fool. BUT....if my wife's going to give me grief over a new rod....I would enjoy some company.

It is surprising how many people tell others to buy something as long as it is not their money. Paid off my credit card last year and really enjoy not getting that monthly bill. Hang in there and laugh at them all and there debt.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

Byron,
    Appearentl you're too new herebouts so there's no way you could sense the tone of rainbowchasers comment. Smileys are not always needed if one knows the source. HE called NO ONE a fool .Stick around and it'll come to you.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread