+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paracord lanyard?

Question Paracord lanyard?

Anyone ever make your own paracord lanyard? It's a project Ive been thinking of for a while and just never started.

Just curious,
    hNt

Ive made a few. with and without braiding. I found that the braiding can add uneeded weight if you do the whole thing. but braiding just the part that goes around the back of your neck is ok. I use beads and large and medium swivel clips. also a set of simple name badge re-tractors for light but constantly used items, the tippit is hung in the center on a peg and wood stopper. i'll did mine out and take some photos for you.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Anyone ever make your own paracord lanyard? It's a project Ive been thinking of for a while and just never started.

Just curious,
    hNt
    Is it just a coincidence your name is hungNtree?

I made one about 18 '' long and hang it from my wader suspenders with small D rings. Not hard to make at all. Also have one that loops over the neck but prefer the other. Just Google Paracord lanyard.
    bernie

A friend make me one from a leather cord, which broke, I replaced that with a boot lace which works great and is adjustable. You could braid, crochet the area at the back of your neck with paracord which would make it more comfortable. Use buckle that will release and won't leave you hung in tree.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Yep, I have made several. Nice thing with DIY is that you can customize to meet your needs. There are some interesting designs at natureboydesigns.com and then if you google "paracord lanyard", you'll find many more and instructions for various knots and weaves.

I made a very short, cobra weave lanyard (about 6") with 4 clips which I attach to my hip pack in horizontal fashion. I've got a separate neck piece that I can attach it too and use it as neck lanyard when I want to go lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Is it just a coincidence your name is hungNtree?
    that is hysterical trigg!!! hungNtree is my Indian name. It was given to me for my lack of casting ability!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    that is hysterical trigg!!! hungNtree is my Indian name. It was given to me for my lack of casting ability!
    Well, be sure to build in one of those release gizmos so your name doesn't take on a more sinister meaning

I carry about 15' of parachute cord in the back of my fishing vest ... does that count?

I made mine from a leather boot lace. Tried several different configurations and settled on black snap swivels with cheap wooden beads for spacing. I used overlapping knots to make the length adjustable. For looks, I strung some of the beads on the back-of-the-neck area and as an unintended bonus, they keep my neck cooler in the summer months. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Yes, I have made several. I used leather for the first one and it was too susceptible to drying out and degradation from moisture, sunblock etc. I tried a braided gimp lanyard next and did not like that one as the plastic got very hot in the summer. The plastic coated stainless steel wire is my current lanyard and I made it using small wooden beads to hopefully assist with floating in case I dropped it in the water. It is similar to the one being sold commercially and I included a foam roll to cushion the neck. It does not have a safety breakaway latch. I also used saltwater grade swivels (black). I am considering making another lanyard but I would like to find a strong thinner type of paracord that will more easily fit through bead holes and the foam tube I use for the neck. My lanyard is one of my most important pieces of gear as I use it on all trips especially summer trips when I try to go minimal.

+ Reply to Thread