+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another New E-Book available on Amazon

Default Another New E-Book available on Amazon

I just put up my latest e-book on Amazon. This one's a basic how-to/where-to guide for Yellowstone Park and southern Montana. Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Ye...ng+yellowstone.

While I'm giving away a free PDF version of the book (I wrote it to entice people to fish with me), the PDF doesn't have internal linking and won't look as good on your phone. The Kindle version is only $2.99.

Because I didn't get any reviews out of the free promotion I did with my other e-book last month, I'm trying something different with this one. To get it for free, you have to e-mail me. If you'd like a copy, please get in touch with me at ycflyfishing@gmail.com.

There's a fairly long free preview of the Kindle version at Amazon, so you can check that out to decide if you're interested in either the free or Kindle version.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

Blog Entries

Walter,
    Thanks for the info. I just purchased this book. Anxious to read it.
    May put a review up here.
    Byron

Liked your tying book well enough, that I'll give this one a try too, Walt. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I've made paying my health insurance premium my goal for my writing income this year, and every little bit helps.

Bear in mind the book is intended to be a basic overview only. I figured there was room in the market for a quick/cheap reference since so many guidebooks nowadays are getting into the $20 range in print.

I do expect to give quite a few away as PDFs, the main goal being to impress people with how much I'm willing to give away for free, so they book a guide trip or two with me to see how much info I can give when I'm actually getting paid. That was one of the big motivations for how I built the Parks' Fly Shop website, and it's mostly been borne out by what people say when they book us.

Blog Entries

Walter,
    One spot in the Park, which I make a point to fish each year, is the Gardner from the old school (by the current maintenance parking yard), downstream to nearly the North Gate. I find many different specie of fish there. Out of one run, I have caught Rainbows, Browns, Cutthroats, and Cutbows on the same afternoon. Not big fish, by any means, but fun fish on dries. It also holds larger fish in the deep pools.

Fish it much in mid-July?

Walter,
    just bought your latest e-book and look forward to reading it in preparation for my trip out to YNP this summer . After going out there annually for fifteen years , I've not been able to make it back there for almost a decade.
    Good luck with your future ventures.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Thanks for letting us know about your book. I also bought a Kindle version. I'll be up way later this year. I won a week in a cabin in SW Montana. What time of the year would be most productive for fly fishing? Yellowstone is about 45 minutes drive.

I just bought the Kindle version of your latest book but I must have missed your tying book. Could you post a link to that one again?

Thanks

Byron:

I don't fish the Gardner very often in midsummer. To be quite honest, I'm floating with clients six days a week from early July through late September, so I don't fish as much as I'd like at that time, period. I fish that water all the time in the fall for run-up browns. In the summer, attractor/dropper rigs work during the day, but there's occasional phenomenal caddis hatches in the evenings, and the Salmonflies actually stick around most of the month.

cmcculloch:

It depends on what you're after. Late July is typically most consistent but also most crowded. If your cabin is in the Yellowstone valley I don't suggest coming before July 15 to be sure everything is fishable. Some other waters see good fishing in June. August can be chancy if the runoff is early. September is getting busier and busier and the fishing isn't as consistent as it is in the summer, but there's more bodies of water fishable in mid-September than any other time, since spring/fall water is turning on and summer water isn't done yet. October doesn't leave a whole lot of fishable options, but those options produce big fish and only a couple places are crowded. Where is your cabin.

Dave:

The tying book is print-only. I am contemplating converting it to Kindle, but that could be a nightmare because I didn't use consistent formatting and so will have to reformat everything by hand to get it to look even close to right on Kindle. If I do that one for Kindle, it will run much more, because the photos add a lot to the download size and my royalties are based on a percentage after Amazon's delivery (bandwidth) cost. The spiral-bound paperback is $27.50 delivered. If you're interested, send me a PM and I can go over payment options.

Thanks for all the purchases, guys.

We will be staying in a cabin in Ennis, MT. I'd appreciate your recommendation for the best time for fly fishing. I plan to do a guide trip once or twice, then wade the better streams and rivers. Probably also take my Scadden pontoon/tube for lakes. I got lucky and won a weeks cabin stay in our fly club raffle. Will definitely go back to Yellowstone. I'm an advanced beginner level fly fisher.

+ Reply to Thread