+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I started a joak

Jim Slattery Guest

Jeffie, I experimented with this idea about 30 years ago. I used a light wire guitar string .010 (I think) cutting the eye off 1 hook and the hook off another making 2 "U"s out of the guitar string and fastened them to the 2 hooks, Do this to the hook first then cut off the hook, cut the eye off the other hook put the U thru the other attached U and secure it with thread, cazy glue the thread. I abandonded the idea because the flies had side to side motion and the Hendrickson nymph ,which I was trying to imitate, like most nymphs,swim with an up and down motion. Burrower nymphs have a side to side motion but its more like the way a snake moves, in an S . I also used a short shank hook first with a cut off hook at the tail, actually I tried it this way first. Trout prefered the non moving Hendrickson nymph over the swimming one. They would chase it but would not take it. Jim

Rats!
    There goes my million dollar new hook design down the tubes.
    Thanks for your reply Jim, the hatch I was watching that gave me the idea must have been burrowers. It was frustrating taking this long to get the piture in my head clearly into words. Finally did in the second paragraph of my previous reply.
    Jim you may very well be right that trout would turn from it. It may look to jerky or robotic. It may doulbe back and tangle every other cast too.
    Just wondering though, how much of a chance did you try your model to the test ?
    I seen trout up north tear apart a royal coachman streamer, trout down here seem to only follow then turn away from it.
    Don't get me wrong here I do realize that not every idea is a good one, it's tough to try to fool mother nature.

Wait a minute all is not lost!
    Just got a billion dollar idea.
    If the entomology information in Jim's reply helps someone else besides me, why then this whole crazy hook thread may not have been so crazy after all.

Do what to thank everyone who has taken the time to read and reply. I did send an email to Partridge last night asking about the hooks. I'll keep you posted.

Jeffie,

Articulated hooks, as others have pointed out, have been around for decades or more.

However, the problem with the concept is that even after tying your fly on them, HOW do you get them to 'move' the way the you want?

That just won't 'happen' simply because the hook 'can' move.

You'd have to design a fly with some kind of lip, excentric, weight shift, etc., something to act against the water pressure to make one part of the hook move in a diferent way than the other part.

Physics 'basics' here. Things tend to follow the path of least resistance or the direction of the applied force (you 'pulling' on the fly).

Without this, even with the articulated hook, the fly will move pretty much just like it's single shank brethren.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:19c63]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:19c63]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Jim Slattery Guest

Jeffie, The experiments were'nt exhaustive but, for me , frustrating.I tried using weight, a lip ,both, 2 lips , the best I could get was side to side motion , a spinning fly that twisted the line or as Buddy pointed out no movement . I'm sure the wiggle nymph was around before I tried it, these are just my observations. Who knows, fish might have taken it in a different stream, or perhaps with a different angler , so give it a try it might just work for you.
    Take care, Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:87a57]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:87a57]

[This message has been edited by Jim Slattery (edited 06 February 2005).]

Ok time out for a bit of humor before the game tonight.
    Buddy made some good points and got me thinkin'
    (that's not always a good thing) and I've been working some long hours the past four days and I getting a little worn and need to laugh a little so here ya go.
    I figure you could fabricate a couple of tiny swimming "paddles" out of a plastic lid from a small coffee can. Tye those on horizontally at the thorax. Use a wire tippet. Build a cigarette sized raft out of touge depressors or something like that, put two doulbe AA batteries in the raft for power. Now attach the raft to your tippet as you would a strike indecator. Vola!
    And the length of your cast would dramaticly increase too.
    Good night all, I gotta get back to work.
    Enjoy the game tonight.

+ Reply to Thread