+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threads to choose?

Default Threads to choose?

Hey guys I have some questions about threads to get. I have usually never paid much attention to the type of thread I was using but after trying to tie packed deer hair bugs with bad thread I want to get the right stuff. I am looking for a good multi-use thread that is strong and can handle tension, but that I can also use for smaller flies as well. What suggestions do you guys have?

Also, where does everyone get their fly tying materials from? I am looking for a good online retailer that has a lot of options to choose from. Thanks for any input.

You are going to want different threads for spinning deer hair and tying small flies.

Everyone has their preferences. Mine are:

Veevus 16/0 or Griffiths Sheer for flies smaller than size 18.
    Danville 6/0 for general tying.
    Danville 3/0 when I need a little more strength.
    GSP thread for spinning deer hair.

I agree with Jay, you want different threads. My preferences are:

Danville's Flymaster+ or Flat-waxed nylon for bass bugs and other spun deer hair flies
    Danville's 140-denier for streamers (specially if I need a smooth underbody for tinsel or floss bodies)
    Uni 6/0 and 8/0 for flies size 10 or smaller

I can't help you on the online question, I live a few miles from Stonerriver Outfitters that is where I get all my stuff.

Alberto
    Last edited by Alberto; 02-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Try Veevus, has outstanding strength, small diameter and if doing loop dubbing makes a very nice small loop.

Here's an article to confuse you to no end. I agree with all of the replies. I am considering purchasing only GSP threads at 1.5-2 times the cost of poly and nylon threads.

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter...read/table.php

If forced to pick only one thread, I've used UTC 140 to spin hair on a number of freshwater flies (mostly for trout) and for larger (#12 and above) trout flies. It's not quite as strong as Flymaster Plus or Flat-wax for spinning deer but it doesn't build up as quickly so it can be used for regular patterns.
    If it were me, I'd buy a spool or 2 of the heavier Flymaster for the ungulate hair, UTC 140, MFC 6/0, or Danville 6/0 for general tying and MFC 8/0 for the little flies. The Veevus may be great stuff but it's a bit too expensive for my tastes.
    If you're just tying big bass bugs, pike flies or saltwater, I'd stick with the Flymaster Plus and Flat-wax.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Denny got me hooked on YLI Silk threads for 99% of my tying

One factor I never see addressed is the labeling of thread. I seldom get Danville anymore, because the labels fall off and then I don't know what I have. Uni also comes to mind, though their labels don't fall off much, but sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I seldom get Danville anymore, because the labels fall off and then I don't know what I have.
    I thought Danville used to color-code their spools based on thread size but I just looked through my boxes and some spools of Flat-wax are the same color as the 6/0 so there goes that theory. Luckily, there's a visible difference between those 2 threads (Flymaster Plus, too) and a quick look tells me what I'm dealing with.

Regards,
    Scott

I like using Uni Mylar thread for spinning hair. It seems to be the stronger of the threads. I don't know what size it is because the label has disappeared. It does small to very large flies (1/0) saltwater down to a ten or twelve. The size 12 flies I have done are pretty difficult to do because of thread size but doable.

My spinning days are very few now because of the fish I now seek, but the Mylar is the strongest threads I've found.
    Last edited by mahanvey; 02-17-2015 at 04:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread