Bob, don't get my comment wrong, the bad hooks I got were relatively few in number overall and I think from a very narrow time frame. Certainly not all of them but enough that I was shocked when I saw them because it was so untypical of Partridge. That, as they say, is a thing of the past.

As for hook collecting, thanks for the complement. Ron Reinhold's hooks should really go into collections now because his place in angling history while relatively a short time span, should be significant for what he did. I only use the techniques and tools he developed. He produced 150 +- different hook sizes and styles which is an amazing feat. He had no knowledge or help from others about making hooks or japanning them. The equipment he developed truly belongs in a museum if it were not being used to continue to make hooks. It bears no resemblance of hook making tools I am sure. Every hook is done one by one completely by hand with the machines only doing ting thing at a time. I would love to see a real hook factory or at least one like I imagine the old Partridge operation. he japanning process is another thing. It is really a black art. I could never have figured out how to do it but Ron R. did. He worked tirelessly testing, and testing.

My role in this hook making is extremely minor if at all. My goal was to keep what Ron R. developed going after he quit. It needed to continue because it is so special.

Hook collections. Ron has a collection of vintage hooks, mostly but not limited to salmon hooks maybe anywhere. I am sure Mustad has a collection somewhere. Ron's collection is absolutely amazing by any measure. hundreds upon hundreds of blind eye salmon hooks from probably all of the old hook makers. It also belongs in a museum. It is for sale too. Wish I could buy it too.

As tyers, we don't often think of our hooks much when we use them. I tended to and had thousands of hooks of many styles and sizes so that when I tied a fly, I would have the right hooks. When I started to tie fully dressed flies, I really started to think about the hooks because I wanted the hook to play a major role in the finished fly. Like many others, I fancied "making" my own hooks and tried it mostly by reshaping existing hooks. Also like most others, I came to the point where things get real tough, cutting barbs, heat treating and finishing. I ended up basically quitting when I talked Ron R. into doing that part for me and I bent and tapered the wires how I wanted them. I thought I had a fair amount of knowledge about making hooks until I bought Ron's business and learned how he did it. How little I knew! I have a new respect for what he did and take great joy and satisfaction to be able to do it now. Frankly, I am still stunned that I am actually doing this.