+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caucci/Nastasi Spectrumized Dubbing

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Caucci/Nastasi Spectrumized Dubbing

Caucci and Nastasi made an observation that no color in nature is pure. Rather, if you look closely enough, the color we see is comprised of a combination of other colors. Following that observation, they blended different colors out of a range of (I think, 4) major colors.

I found a distributor who sells a "full kit" of their 16 "Match the Hatch Colors".

This is an example of the Pale Olive and the specific insects it imitates in color:

Yeah, "spectrumized" dubbings were all the rage for a time...and then it passed. There are still dubbings out there that capture the same process, a notion that of course predates Caucci and Nastasi, but their "revelation" was obviously not enough to persist, hence why solid colors still dominate the market...and still catch fish, oddly enough...

Blog Entries

Oddly,
    I myself often blend several colors to obtain the color I'm after. And, I know others to do the same.
    I like to bring different concepts to the forum as not everyone is aware of all concepts developed or brought forward over the years.
    As a tier and fly fisher for about 40 years, I have seen things come and go which does not necessarily reduce the validity of the idea/concept.
    I was not aware their spectrumized blends were still available. I still think the dubbing is quite interesting...........

Byron -

I have caught enough (big) fish on spectrumized dubbing over the past couple decades to know that it never worked in its day, and am glad to hear that its popularity has passed.

If you read the recent thread here on balanced flies, and specifically viewed the video from Curtis Fry on his go-to damsel fly nymph, you will see farther indications that this type of dubbing is a thing of the past.

(And, no, I'm not giving up my old stash of spectrumized Hendrickson dubbing.)

Blog Entries

LOL John!!

Anybody remember the FAOLer who used to "make" spectrumized dubbing, or at least many colored dubbing? He also made hooks, and tied beautiful salmon flies. I still have some of his dubbing, but don't remember his name.

+ Reply to Thread