+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate dubbing

Question I hate dubbing

I hate dubbing. There I said it. Mostly because I am not very good at it and because I don't have the patience to learn it properly. I am wondering about yarn. I know in Al Campbell's articles he talks about using "punch " yarn. I asked a sales lady at a local Hobby Lobby and she didn't know what that was. When I google it I get websites about a punch yarn needle but from what I understand it is just a tool and can be used with all types of yarn. Which leaves me confused. Can someone clear up my confusion for me? My understanding is that polypropylene and wool yarn float. I am looking for a yarn to use in nymphs. Or should I just use them and weigh down my hooks?

Thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

If I'm not mistaken, "punch" yarn is the same as latch hook rug yarn and craft & rug yarn - 100% acrylic. Look for that at HL; comes in about a billion colors. Thing I don't like about yarn for bodies on smaller flies is the high buildup - even unraveled, each strand is still substantial and it's hard for me to get a nice taper. With larger flies, it's not a problem; actually easy to build up a body quickly with the yarn.
    I was never thrilled with how my dubbed bodies turned out either, but for nymphs I kinda wanted them scraggly and the ugly ones worked just fine.

Regards,
    Scott

hNt;
    I have about 15 different colors of punch yard, Adam's Gray. Purple Haze, Caddis green or tan, etc. P.M. your snail mail addy and I'll send you 3-5 yards of each.

I lied!! I have over 20 colors! Punch Yarn was a big thing some 35 years ago. A search for "Pretty Punch" may turn it up. I score 20 some 250 yard spools of it a few years back.
    It is a 3 strand yarn and can be unraveled to use just one or 2 strands for small fly's.
    I put it on empty spools and use it in a bobbin.

Nope not latch hook rug yarn... much thinner. It should work well for small flies. I haven't seen it for years...doubt if it is still made.

Here is just one example on ebay...a google showed more examples...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-LOT-OF...-/171676573722

another

http://www.amazon.com/Purr-fect-Punc...purrfect+punch

Maybe it is still made.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 02-11-2015 at 09:59 PM.

If you go to the home page of FAOL and enter Punch Yarn in the search feature you will find lots of info.

Tim

looks like uni-yarn to me
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/uni-uni-yarn

I use this a lot instead of dubbing, really like the "insect green"...

As far as dubbing goes, some are eazier to use than others, Krystal dub is really easy to use, ice dub is a PITA in MHO. just my 2 cents.....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I bought some punch yarn about 7 years ago, can't remember where I got it (somewhere online,) but it's "Cameo" brand. a quick Google search got this;

http://www.punchneedlemarketplace.co...ategory&path=8.

Hope that helps,

Cliff

Ok, I hesitate to post this but I'm going to do it anyway...
    IMNSHO the best answer to your problem is: learn to dub. Like you said, it just takes a little bit of patience and practise. A few hours of that should send you on your way. Start with the finest dry fly dubbing you can find, and use as little as you can (just a whiff of the stuff - that's easiest) and take it from there. Pinch it on to the thread tightly, twist the thread clockwise, make yr wraps, and see what happens. Once you've got that, try your hand at coarser stuff, like hare's ear or seal. Of course a buddy or teacher will help, as will a book like Leeson/Schollmeyer's FTBR. Spending time learning to do things the proper way makes you master a skill and that's better than spending the same amount of time time looking for alternatives.
    I'm not a fundamentalist - just trying to be helpful

+ Reply to Thread